water

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I'm going away for 5 days, and I still have several things in plug trays. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can water everything while I'm gone - other than having someone stop by? Things seem to dry out every other day.
Thanks for the help!
-Mara

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Mara, if you can get capillary cloth, it will do the job. If you can't get any, get some large coffee cans and punch a small hole at the bottom edge. String a cotton thread or string through the hole and place it above the seedling trays with the thread falling into the tray. Fill the can with water. If the water doesn't flow well, add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid. You may have to use strings going to several spots to evenout the flow. Jessamine

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Go buy a cheap acrylic blanket and cut that to the size you need for use as your capillary matting. The soil in your containers MUST come in contact with the blanket for this to work. Cut the blanket longer than you need because you will need to put one end of the blanket into a water supply. A small, clean, never-been-used-before Kitty litter pan would work well for this.
Mike

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Thanks - I'll see what I can do. Unfortunatelt, I have them in the tiny plug trays, so I don't think using the thread would work. I'll look around for cappliary cloth. What kind of places sell it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.