Squash seed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just started some seed in the little button things that you sprinkle water on. For the life of me, I could not find where the planting depth was on the seed package. So I planted all the seed @ about an 1/8 inch deep. Then later I find out that I should plant 1 inch deep. I planted them with tomatos and I have everything up in a dark closet. Do I need to go back and push the seed down? It's only been a few hours. IF I can I would like to leave then like they are because the little tomato seeds only planted @ about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. It's a little 72 button pack tray with cover that all the seed are in. Thank you in advance and watch for my bad spelling :).

Scott

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Welcome to DG, Scott. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but someone who can will come along...

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The seedlings will not have good bottom stability if planted to shallowly in the peat pellets. They will grow fine and than topple over once the first set of true leaves appear....
I would risk it and push them down in better if it were me.

Marc

P.S. Welcoem to DG ;-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you guys for the information and the warm welcome). I went in and did a little push down on the seed.

Scott

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, plant the squash deeper...and you will have to tear the netting off all the pellets before putting them in the ground for real...contrary to advertised statements...it will not break down naturally.

It will strangle the roots on both kinds of plants if not removed before planting out...no harm now though.

And yes, welcome to DG! best spot on the web!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you Melody for the netting information. Making a note in my head now. I just did a sub for 2 months of DG, It looks like I am going to up grade with all the information a person can get here. Ky? Good country ham there I bet. I am an ex Tn boy. Came to Houston when I was a kid.

Scott

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, 8th generation Bluegrass born...my ancestors were among the first 16 families that founded Louisville in 1778.

I hail from extreme West KY...best country hams around...the town of Cadiz...about 30 miles from me has a Country Ham Festival every year.

I'm about 5 miles west of KY Lake and 20 miles north of the TN line.

Glad you like it here....been here over 4 years myself...DG was just a teeny little spot on the web then...we were all anxiously awaiting our 500th new sign up about now. Time does fly.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Scott, Those squash would probably do better straight in the ground about now.. I planted some Yokohama Melons about 16 days ago. I have a big pair of leaves! Houston should do the same for you.
Sidney

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Youre right Mr. Sugarweed. I took the tomato and squash seeds out side a few mins ago. Out of the 72 buttons, 2 had a little bit of that spider web looking fungus or something. I took the cover off last night to air things out a litte. I am not a seed person(. They were out of veg plants @ the lumber yard, so I am having to learn the world of seed.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.