Another Bulb Question - this one Elephant Ears

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I got these bulbs from Lowes and they are just TERRIBLE directions. All of them say "pointed end up" even when the bulbs do not have a pointed end.

Now I'm planting these elephant ears and need to know what side goes down. There is on one end what appears to be a slight point - kind of like a nipple. Does the nipple point up or down?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Karrie, if all else fails, plant them on their side. I would say that the pointed end would go up. Generally the bulbs have a rather flat side that is the bottom. I know I'm not much help. Hey, how about a picture, up close. Maybe that would help. LOL!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Ok - here is what I think would be the pointed side.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here is the flatter side.

You know - I got some begonias from Lowes and they had the exact same instructions, and these bulbs had no pointed side at all, and it ended up I put them in upside down, because the indented side was supposed to face up. I found that out today and dug them up and replanted them. That's why I wanted to know for sure on these elephant ears, so I didn't make the same mistake.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x

Karrie, I would start them in a small pot to start off with. Moisten the soil and do not keep the soil soaken wet. The first picture is the side that goes up.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

ok - sounds good to me - the smaller the easier - I'm running out of gas!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

ok - they are in their pots. There were two large ones, that had definite points, and a smaller one that I couldn't even tell, so I placed that one on it's side.

Thanks everyone!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If you look closely at the bulb, one end or the other usually has a bunch of holes in it. That is where the roots were before it was dried.

Karrie, thanks for asking this question. I got some EE from Walmart with the same directions and was wondering the same thing.

Badseed, I was also wondering what those holes were. Thought they were insect damage! LOL

I have another question so I thought I'd ask it here if you all don't mind. I planted mine in a fairly large pot and put it in the greenhouse. Daytime temps 80-90F nighttime temps 55-60F. How long till they start to sprout? I check them every day. They've only been in there about a week! Thanks in advance, Linda

Linda, Your temps sound great for the EE to get started. I would say you should have some signs of growth within a month. I have found for newly planted bulbs keeping the soil just damp and not Soaked works best. I lost many by rotting in much to wet of soil. I have most of mine planted in tubs and after the first freeze they are cut back. I then bring them indoors & they are placed in a cool basement until the following spring. I will be placing them outdoors next month. This is how they looked last summer in my somewhat looking tropical driveway.

They grow quickly and I use the leaves for cement leaf castings, they work great.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2005 3:31 AM

This message was edited Apr 12, 2005 3:32 AM

Thumbnail by
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Gosh Kin, is that the best you could do? Hehehee, just kidding. Those plants look huge!

For a plant that takes so long to break free of the tuber, they sure do go non-stop once they get going!

LOL Michele!!
They sure do take off once they get going. I also learned they like organic material in the potting mix. I use my Good old home compost and they love it. Regular potting soil mix just doesnt seem to make them thrive....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.