Did I plant my Begonia bulbs upside down?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

The directions said "pointed side up" - well - there weren't any pointed sides. One side had an "indention" and the other side was round. I put them indention side down. They have not shown any sign of emerging. If I did them wrong, can I pull them out and start them over?

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Probably, the indentation should go up, if they're tuberous begonias Karrie. Depends on how long ago you planted them. I would be tempted to very gently do some exploring.

Joan

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

ut oh! thanks!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Be sure you don't cover them completely and don't water from the top. water collecting in the concave top (indentation) will rot the bulb. We have a lot of rain here but I have very wide eaves and put them on a plant rack under the eaves on my deck. In this way, I can control the amount of water they get.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

you're kidding! the directions said to cover with one inch of soil. Now I have to redo them again!

lol, Karrie, just lift them a little so that the very top is exposed.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

ok - if I can get enough energy to make it back up the stairs, lol!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Be patient - somethimes they take a while to get started. Some of mine have taken a month before showing me they were still alive!

Karrie, I have to agree on the "be patient" advice. These things take so long for me I think they've died before they start sprouting. Mine do better if I give them a little bottom heat. If you are doing them inside the house, just a heating pad on low would be enough.

I have done the same thing with my seedlings.. A light above and a heating pad below. But I sure protected my wooden chest of drawers top with several layers of newspaper.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I also read that the roots stored over the Winter will show the beginning of growth, like a green tip starting, & that is the signal that it is ready to plant. So far mine have shown no changes. I lose a couple each year, but the ones that do grow are more beautiful than the previous year!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Well that is good news. I consider my bulbs, rhizomes, etc..... an investment that I can use year after year, and if they get better with time that's a bonus for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.