Watersorb crystals

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I mixed them into my potting soil - about half as much as their website called for. I added them in two layers mixing after each. Yesterday we had a hard rain - this is the first they had been watered since I haven't planted anything yet. Now there are little jagged cubes of this on top of the soil. They are the medium size BTW.

Is this normal? I know they swell etc. I guess I thought they were going to stay under (invisible to me) the soil. What do I know!?!? I just don't want to plant anything before I know it's okay. Well, I lie. I do have some peas that went in before the rains and the "ice cubes" came up!

-Kim

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

There is some of this in the seed starting mix I use and some always "float" to the surface. Most stay below. I would just poke them back down. When you mulch the pot, this won't happen.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

They DO swell, but they won't harm the plant. Either add some additional mix on top or mix them back into the existing potting soil mixture. They're great, by the way.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I just mixed mine into the root zone. I haven't had any "floaters" so to speak LOL!

J

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Mix them in a container of water first for about an hour. Then add to the bottom of the pot. That is where the roots will go to, too get water. I know one person that added them dry and pushed the plant right out of the pot. LOL
Water from the bottom until they absord water again. Mix some slow release fertilizer in also for an almost maintenance free pot.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys - I stirred them back in, thought I was going to have to tell people I was growing Jello!

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey bluecat 76
I once dropped quite a bit of it unknowingly on my patio while filling a bunch of pots. After the first rain I had a patio full of jello cubes. It's amazing how much it expands isn't it.

Rich

Aarhus, Denmark(Zone 7a)

I just ordered some from http://www.containerseeds.com/products/suppliespage.html#item803 - they say you should soak the crystals before adding them to the soil.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I've used these for years, added them to the soil along with slow release fertilizer, mixed it all up, and I've never had a problem with them coming to the surface. I've used them outdoors too, putting it in the bottom of the hole. They've worked beautifully for me. Just bought more yesterday for several more pots.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

The Watersorb directions said to mix with the potting soil when they were dry. Personally I wouldn't think it mattered, wet or dry. I haven't seen them since I posted but it hasn't rained. I have watered but maybe not enough to soak the soil and the crystals.

They are in my deck containers with herbs, peas, lettuce and flowers-so far. I think they help aerate the soil giving those little roots room to grow. BTW they are the Terraza planters I posted in another thread and I am glad I bought them! I got the casters/wheels for them - a lifesaver!!

-Kim

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

When we used them in our pots at the greenhouse, we mixed them in dry, then wet the mix and let it set a while before filling the pots. They do look like clear jello!

somewhere, PA

I mix mine at the very bottem of the container after they're fully expanded (wet).
And they really do work to save plants. I've had days where its so hot & sunny
that the containers are completely bone dry but my plants have not wilted. Their
roots are still moistened with those little jello cubes.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

TARogers5,

Ever drop the container full of them on the rug while carrying them out the door?

Yuck! Slippery when wet! I don't have the wet/dry vac here. They wash off good with a small screen strainer though.

I've taken to putting water logged ones under my seed starting mix so the heat mat doesn't dry the soil too quickly.

~* Robin

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Good Ideas here. Thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Robin, I've been using the "small" size crystals from WaterSorb mixed into the medium in my seed starting trays, and it works like a charm. I like the medium size for most things, but the small ones are great for starting stuff and in little pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.