organic rooting hormone in your kitchen

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Did you kknow that you may have a wonderful organic rooting hormone in your kitchen? Yes this is true, honey. To make the honey a rooting hormone agent you will need to take a few very simple steps: 1) boil 2 cups of water 2)add 1 TBS(tablespoon) of honey 3) Let mixture cool then put in an airtight container 4) Store out of light, either sunlight or artificial 5) Dip cutting in solution then pot up, no real need to put baggie/plastic over cuttings. I have use this solution and have had much better results in rooting cuttings than with rooting hormones purchased. Please note: The shelf life of this solution is approximately 2 weeks.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Rumsford Baking Powder is also an excellent rooting hormone. I did an experiment with it and Rootone and there was no difference in the rooting. The Rumsford is much less expensive.

Paul

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Thanks paul will have to try it Kewl Robin

Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi Paul,
Did you have a "control"? Did you compare cuttings with neither baking powder nor rootone?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

What a great tip! Honey also has anti-microbial properties as well as being a humectant, both of which I could see beeing benificial for cuttings.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Dave
No this was an unscifientic study.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Willow water is a natural rooting agent also. Boil up some willow branches....a handfull of small twigs in a quart of water..cool, and it helps most things root also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.