hey y'all...we need advice

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I asked this over in perrenials- Donna had some good info but we need more input.

I have a pack of seed and want to grow some ornamental cabbage for my mom and me to set out in September. Any of you have any experience in growing these? When should I start them?
charlotte

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

My seed starters book says 4-6 weeks before set out date. For your fall crop, start seed in pots indoors, or sow directly outside in July. They tend to germinate 100%, so sow sparingly or thin for a good stand. Then set plants out 12-18 inches apart in row 18 to 30 inches apart. Give a handful of compost at transplanting time, and a liquid feeding (manure tea or diluted fish fertilizer) a week or two after planting. They prefer cool, damp weather.

That is what the book says. Personally, between the heat, August drought, and the flea beetles, I wouldn't try to start them that early here. I have never done flowering or ornamental cabbage, and this is my first year for eating cabbage. So I don't speak from experience, just quoting from the New Seed-Starters Handbook.

Best of luck!

TamaraFaye

This message was edited Apr 7, 2005 12:05 AMEdited for spelling a couple times...

This message was edited Apr 7, 2005 12:06 AM

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Tamara, I have never grown real cabbage either, the few times I tried during the winter it rotted. I'll give it a try with these ornamentals.
thanks
charlotte

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.