Rooting scales

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I was wondering through one of the nurseries by work yesterday and noticed one of the employees sweeping the floor.....in the pile of 'sweep debree' I noticed 4 nice sized lily scales. I asked her if I could snag those, since they were being swept up as trash....she said yes but gave me one of those looks.
Well now that I have them, how do I get them to grow?

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

You can use the technique described in this article: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/18505/105602

You actually do not "root" them, but on the end which used to be attached to the lilybulb, small bulbets (miniature baby bulbs) will form. In time, these can be planted and will grow into blooming size lilies in 1-4 years depending on lily type.

A few tips to go:
- check the plastic bag every week and keep the medium slightly moist. Even in bags, some of the growing media can become very dry if stored on the water heater, etc, so check often. Keep moist, but not wet.
- I dip the scales in a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water), then rinse, then put into the bag of moist medium

Enjoy.
I bet I know the look. It is the same look when you ask the neighbor for their bagged fall leaves on the curb, right ??
or the lady next door for her fruit and vegetable cuttings at the bbq ??

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info!
I have them in damp spagnum bagged up and sitting on top of the grow lights.
Sounds like I did it right. :-)

Oh and yes that's exactly the look. LOL

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

I asked a florist for a cutting of a rose which she was throwing away. It had no flower head, just stem and leaves. She looked at me as if I was going to use it for illicit purposes....

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL To funny............

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.