AWESOME SEED PLANTING TOOL!

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

I started starting seed yestersday for annuals and veggies. I've done it before but not on this scale. It a tedious job at best, but the results are worth it. I bought a seed spoon to assist me in planting the seeds, but it wasn't much help. Then I thought of something my mother-in-law had told me she used. (the old timers had nothing during trhe depression so they got inventive). If you take a #2
pencil and keep it wet between seeds, you can use it to pick seeds up one at a time and plant them. Sometimes they won't fall off easily so take another pencil and push it where you want it to be. I got so excited when I found out how well it worked that I had to share it.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

this would help with those tiny seeds. I was "sprinkling" my tiny seeds, like impatiens, and they ALL germinated, lol - the flat looks like a green field!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Jordung, what a great tip. I am copying this and keeping it in my propagation file. Thanks a million for sharing.

Adeline

Lake George, MN(Zone 3a)

Another method is to stick a fllat headed pin into a pencil erasure and pick up the fine seeds that way. You need to dampen the pin head (either tongue of sponge). I use a craft knife to push the seed off into the starting medium if it clings to the pin head. Time consuming, but hey!, I'm retired.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

That's a good hint too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.