What do you do with the excess?

Arroyo Grande, CA

I am very new to the propagation business, like last night. I got all the stuff, put together a propagating tower, affectionately known as the Seed Palace (had enough stuff left over to make Seed Palace Jr), did the soil, did the 132 cell packs, carefully planted each cell using tweezers with several seeds each. So far there are 10 trays of 132 cells and 10 more to plant. Assuming even 10 percent grow, this is way beyond what I need or want. And I still have a huge number to plant (isn't buying on the internet fun). I carefully read all the classic threads about how to do this stuff, but no one mentions what to do with the excess. I am sure at some point, like tomorrow night when she gets home from being gone for ten days, my wife will bring it up after driving into the driveway opening the garage door and seeing the fans going and lights blazing.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Contact community gardens and see if they would like some. Also certain plants sell very well on yard/garage sales. And there's always DG trades and plant swaps/exchanges to attend.
Can't wait for pix of all your babies :-)

Arroyo Grande, CA

I can't wait either. I started with the easy ones, just to get the hang of it. Fillers for my basically wild-looking garden. I did plant a tray of muhlenbergia rigens that I can use. Mostly I split the 132 count trays into three different kinds, using a spread sheet to keep track ( I have been a diligent reader) of what was planted where. I put a layer of perlite on top so I suppose I will not see the immediate sprouts.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like your all organised and ready! :-)
How's the temp holding in Seed Palace SR?

Arroyo Grande, CA

Remarkably steady between 65 and 71. Jr. stays a little warmer because it doesn't have the fans. It doesn't get very cold here at night, low forties most of the winter and high 40s to 50s in the summer. We have lots of fog in the morning and evening that keeps everything pretty moderate.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds perfect. sigh.......................

Arroyo Grande, CA

But Seattle is so beautiful and you can grow stuff I cannot grow. Rhodies just do not make it here.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh true.....I love Seattle, I'm just longing for warmer nights. I'm tired of the mid 30's :-(

I wish I had been gardening when I lived in San Diego....oh the things I could have grown there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.