Begonia's

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I am thinking about buying some Begonia bulbs and the only thing holding me back is, "do the bulbs multiply?"

I want to know if Begonia's multiply from their bulbs. If they do, all is well. If they don't, then how do I get more than one Begonia for next year out of one Begonia plant this year?

Thanks

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've read that the tubers can be split into pieces, each with an eye, but that it is risky, and care should be taken (dusting with anti-fungal powder and drying)to make sure not to invite disease or rot. I've never been ambitious enough to try it. Taking cuttings during the growing season may be a safer way and if the cuttings are rooted early enough in the season I think they should have time to form a large enough tuber for winter storage. Good Luck!

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I didn't know you could take cuttings. And I didn't know a cutting would make it's own tuber.

You wouldn't happen to know how to do a cutting would you?

Thanks
Darrell

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

If you make cuttings, make sure the cutting is made retaining the entire leaf node, e.g. do not damage the leaf node. This may physically mean that you need to cut into the stem from which the cutting branch. I like to do this on extra stems which I do not plant to keep.

You can see a picture here:
http://www.begonias.ca/prop_stem.htm

Sorry, I do not have pictures of the process.. will try to work on that this year... LOL

Kenneth

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I saved that to my favorites.

Thanks, kdjoergensen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.