Texas!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well,
My wife and I went out on a plant collecting trip to the new 1000 acre
industrial park site not far from here. I got a lot of new plants. I don't know what most of them are but , if it looked cool, I dug it up.
There was a guy fossil hunting in the area so I went to say "Howdy" and it turns out he works at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens.
Must be fate.
He said that they'd be glad to give me plants for my xerescaping project and , in return, I told him all my favorite fossil hunting spots.
Plant hunting rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey, Barry! I see you're still rescuing plants, huh? (I think you've about got me hooked on this activity, too!!!!) By the way, your crinums are sending up new healthy foliage, and seemingly very happy in their new surroundings.

Well, I hope you post some pictures of those new unknowns over in the ID forum, so we can see what treasures you've found this time! Take care....
Terry

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Terry!
I doubt that there are any "treasures" this time but they look good on my hill.We got about 8 or 10 different species from grasses to wildflowers. Maybe I'll post a photo of the whole thing and you can play the horticultural equivilant of "Name That Tune".
Our crinums are doing great , since we moved them to the West side of the house from the North side. They like a lot more sun than I thought they would.
Found any interesting homeless waifs?
Barry

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

So please tell me someone - is it OK to go on to land where a house once stood unless its posted? I see so many tumble down places and always want to stop to look at the plants that are still growing away quite happily.

I must confess to having done this and will do it again if the opportunity looks opportune. It's illegal but no one seems to notice or care about those plants and many times it all gets bulldozed...it would be ethical to ask though and I haven't done it in years...I've become much more conservative in my old age. I got my vinca minor, white daffodils, old unidentified rose with a wonderful history of the place I found it, cedar trees, winter honeysuckle, oxalis, iris...probably some other stuff too. But I never took more than just a little, and only that that wouldn't be missed.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Personally, I've found that it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. If I found an old abandoned decrepit old house with a cat and kittens in it, I would take them home and find them new homes. (Bad analogy, I know) and, If there's an obvious way to contact the owner, I will but if there's a big sign saying "Eckards Comming Soon!", all bets are off and I'm takin' the plants.I have even gone so far as to make up a ficticious organization called the Texas Horticultural Preservation Society" in case I run in to problems but I haven't ever had any encounters. Just be brave and go in boldly, with conviction. Remember; You're all the hope that some doomed plant has for survival.
Green Power, Baby!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Barry I couldn't agree with you more regarding land clearance for new businesses and wouldn't hesitate to rescue whatever I could under these circumstances. However, I'm talking about the old rural scene. You know - driving down an old country road, coming across derelict houses with notices tacked on the door (Posted) - or not! I don't know the laws of this country and don't want my head shot off by a landowner....lol!! (joking, of course)!!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I think I would go to the nearest neighbor and ask if they knew who owned the property, and their whereabouts. If it's been many moons since anyone visited, then I would consider it fair game. If a owner could be contacted, then I would
try that approach, I wouldn't want my head shot off either, or my behind hauled off to jail.

Jerrie

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh! I mean houses too! I'm pretty bold about it, however, if they aren't in danger of destruction and could be someone's grandma's house and someone might have plans of moving the plants to a friend or relative,then snagging them before they had a chance would be downright rude.
I'd have to agree with eyesoftexas' approach. I've had great luck telling people, truthfully that I'd like to carry on the legacy and make sure that the plants are cared for. I, also make it clear where they will be and that , if someone would like to claim some that I'd be more than happy to oblige.
It makes them much more attractive if you can get some history on them and most of the time , nearby relatives or friends are happy to fill you in.
We got a fig tree just that way. We found some growing and found a relative nearby and she was not only happy to let me dig up one of the little ones but could trace the tree's ancestry back over 80 years. It's been in a ten gallon pot for almost two years and gave us figs both seasons.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

What a lovely way to look at it Barrykooda!! Thanks for the fig story :-)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sure, Louisa!
When we first hit the business park site a couple of years ago, it was long before we knew there WAS to be a business park. There was an old water tower and what looked like a whole old neighborhood's, worth of old house sites. It was completely overgrown with Mesquite and thicket.We found some cool looking plants , took them home and kept them going for a couple of years before they finally bloomed and I found Daves Garden and had them identified as Crinums by go_vols back in May. I did some neighborhood research and it turned out that there was an old, French settlement there called LaReunion maybe a hundred years ago.Now, that old granny's flowers are here AND in Nashville. (I sent some to go-vols) I can't help but think someone's looking down , happy that the beautiful flowers they planted so long ago still survive.That's the great thing about Daves and plant trading in general. It connects people , not only through the world but through time as well.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, that's something else I love - history! I loved your story yet again. Funny you should speak of 'someone looking down'! You may not know but I have just moved into a new house. Two wonderful people welcomed me into the neighbourhood and befriended me. It was amazing how quickly I came to love them. They were both killed in a car crash last week. Their legacy is an absolutely beautiful garden and a dog that comes to my house looking for them. I am sure that whoever buys their house will be a gardener for they cannot fail to see the love that went into making this a very special place. And so it is! Whatever is planted today will become a treasure in someone else's time :-)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that, when my wife and I go, it's together. I can't see one of us going on alone. So, What's your new dog like?:-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL Barry - the dog is going to one of Nancy's daughters I believe and I am really happy about that. We went for a drive today after church and ventured into 'unknown' territory. Had our 'best clothes' on and that was a real shame. Came across many derelict homes and I was miffed that I couldn't get into the thick of it. Don't think high heels are the best footwear to go trudging through thickets. But I will return!!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Part of my "Always in the truck" stuff is a zip up mechanics jumpsuit and waterproof shoes. Now , if I could just remember to keep a shovel in there, we'd be set!I'm into fossils too so I'm always stopping and getting dirty.
Last summer,while at Home Depot, I suddenly got the weird urge to drive down to my Granny and Grandpa's gravesite in Valley Mills( abouit 100 miles) and plant a Desert Willow . I kept thinking that someone might think it strange to see a guy with a truck load of shovels and picks digging up a grave site and that I'd end up in the local jail as a grave robber but no one seemed to notice.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

What I want to know Barry is - when are you going to write a book!! Such wonderful stories you have. Today I told my hubbie that we are never ever going out again without the essentials. A spade, plastic bags, paper bags, water and kitchen roll. He agreed!!!!!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

That's the spirit!
You and your husband have a distinct advantage. I know almost nothing about plant species. I just pick up what I think looks cool and occasionally get lucky. I probably pass up great things that a more knowlegable person would be able to recognize.
I thought of something you could add to your kit. An official looking magnetic sign like "Botanical Rescue" or "Horticultural Orphanage". You could keep it in the trunk and slap it on the side of your car when you went searching.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - sounds good to me!!

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

I think you guys are pretty cool. I have always wanted to stop at old houses and go exploring but never had the nerve. But, however my sister and her husband have just inherited a beautiful old home that has been in his family for about 200 years. This thing is absolutely gorgeous. There are so many kinds of flowers I'm going into DT's just waiting until it cools off a little here so that I can start digging all I can. The developer that is buying it is a very nice man and I know I can get lots of goodies. Theres a vine there that is growing up in a evergreen tree that is the most beautiful thing I've ever seem. I wonder if it could be a lacecap hydrangea? It's probably 40 ft up the tree. The blooms do look kind of lacecap like but make kind of like a triangle or teardrop shape. They are little bitty white with a little pink in them. Also, would any of you have a picture of one or tell me where I can find a good picture of that vine and one of an Old timey candytuft? Didn't mean to write a book but you all seem so interested in this kind of thing I thought you might know. Also, I live in zone 7b, do you think I should definitely wait until it's cooler or give it a shot now? Also, one more thing. There's an OLD light pink blooming camellia bush. I will get some cuttings and what should I do? Put them in water until I see roots or dirt? I will get lots of cuttings from lots of different things to trade so if any of you are interested let me know!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

TRACI!! I can't believe you didn't tell me about this!!! How could you?!!! You know how I am about flowers, and you didn't tell me that you were going to do this...I guess this means I have to make a trade with you huh??? LOL I mean I "use" to be your neighbor ya know the least you could do it let me help you dig them up for halves!! J/K
mollybee

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

MollyBee, I was gonna tell ya. I just really talked to Kami last night. We'll either go together or I'll get enough for ya!!! LOL! Really, when I saw this I had just got off the phone with her about an hour before. I'm gonna do it when Tad and I can go w/o his Aunt Carolyn being around. She's a stingy old coot! I think I have strep Throat. I have blisters all over my throat and my mouth is still swolen. Gotta go to the store and get something for it. Traci

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Traci, Sorry to hear you are feeling bad...sending get well vibes to you now @#$#%@#%@#%^@#(now you'll get better) You know I was only kidding about that other stuff, I knew you would get around to telling me. LOL
Hope you feel better soon!!
Mollybee

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like you're gonna need a CREW, Traci!
It also sounds like you won't be short of volunteers!

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

That is so true! This is one of the oldest and prettiest Historical Homes in our county. My bro-in-law's, great, great grandfather built this home in the EARLY 1800's. He was a member of the House of Representatives. We have been trying to get the family to sell it for a while because since the older people died no one goes over there everyday. My bro-in-law and his great Aunt are part owners of it. People have already stolen all of the antiques out of it. And about 2 mos. ago cut all of the mantles and the fireplaces out of the wall. That was the last straw. Ya see, my bro-in-law wanted to sell it last year but his Great Aunt procrastinated. I guess she hated to see it go. Some of these flowers are the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out what this vine is. I don't have a picture, but it is about 40-50 ft up in an evergreen tree. It has blooms on it that look kind of lacey from a distance but when your close up it has little bitty white blooms with a touch of pink and all the blooms together form a triangle or pear shape cluster. It is beautiful. Do you have any idea's? Ther's Camellia's, snow ball's, etc.... On stuff like that should I just try cuttings and if so what's the best way to assure they root? Can you help me please. My great grandfather was an old timer who always said don't move trees or shrubs and stuff like that in any month that doesn't have an "R" in the spelling. Not after April and not before September. I've always followed that and had pretty good luck! Thanks, Traci

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Traci, if it looks like a lacecap hydrangea, it is probably one of the climbing hydrangeas. Deucamaria is the US native with this common name, while the other two are from Japan and China. Here's a link where you can read some more about them, and hopefully figure out which one you have:

http://davesgarden.com/search/plants.php?search_text=%22Climbing+Hydrangea%22

Once you ID it, you can find out more about transplanting it vs. taking cuttings. Good luck - sounds like you have a real treasure trove to sort through! Sorry to hear about the antiques and the furnishings - that's such a shame.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.