Strawberry Seeds

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

The package said cold treat or winter sow so I planted the flat first in the fridge (about a week), then the freezer (about a week), than back to the fridge (1 day) again then outside. How long 'til I see seedlings?

Michelle

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm. I tried wintersowing alpine strawberries this year, so of course no seedlings here yet in zone 6. I'm trying to remember from last year, though, and I'm thinking it was about a week for the red alpines (the yellow ones were slow for me & didn't germ well). Pinetree said to just put the seed packet in the freezer for 2 weeks, so that's what I did, but your method sounds good too.

Sorry my recollection isn't more certain, but at least you know it won't take a month!

Good luck!

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you! I got the same ones you did, I was gonna put the seed packets in there but I read somewhere on here last year that doing it in the dirt worked better so I thought I'd try it.
Then I read on another site that had the same kind of seeds just sow them. So I am hoping for good germ. I planted twice as many of the yellow ones.
Thank you so much!
Michelle

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll let you know if wintersowing worked or not!

I bought some other alpine type strawberries from the sale list at Burpees this year, and they said no chilling was required. Well, they're out there in the wintersown container too, so we'll see what happens.

We didn't mention temperature for germination, but I'd keep them at cool room temp (60-70'), no seedling heat mat for them!

Let's hope we're both nibbling lots of little strawberry gems this summer! Have you grown these before? I can't get over the intense flavor -- like strawberry candy.

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Never grown and never tasted. But they look really good!

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Also I have pretty bad luck with the big ones b/c of the heat, thought it might be nice to grow some inside.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I had the alpines from Pineseed--- they say runnerlees _ DO NOT BELIVE IT! They ran like crazy and have been getting a little weedy in fact. I pulled up 3/4 of them and freecycled them in the fall and I still have tons. Also they berries are very tasty- but DO NOT KEEP they are great to go in and eat straight off the bush, my kids love them as they are everbearing as well but very tiny berries (although that could be because said kids don't wait for them to get bigger LOL!)

Just my 2 cents

Heather

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm. Mine have not run at all. I grew them in deck containers their first year, and planted them in a garden bed last year. They grew into bigger clumps, but no runners. Seeds were also from Pinetree Seeds. They tolerated the heat and all-day sun on my deck very well, so they might work outside for you too. I've never grown them inside but have heard that works.

Yes, the berries are tiny on alpines, and you'll never have the patience to pick enough for a pie no matter how many plants you have. But the amazing flavor makes up for it, and they make delicious little garden snacks as Heather said.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I will keep mine - I am considering potting them up actually- as my kids ADORE them (and it keeps them off my big berries) mine are on thier 3rd year this year and boy are they nuts - it is possible I got the wrong seed- except that the berries are small like the alpine are supposed to be. I have had seed mix ups with Pinetree in the past (not a big deal - they always correct it) overall a great berry - just wanted to LYK my experiance with them.

Heather

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

mmm... you guys are making my mouth water...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.