Starting Seeds

Richland Center, WI(Zone 4a)

Hello,
I read alot of post asking a comon question. That question is "how do you start seed"
Well there are many ways you just have to do the trial and error thingie.
I will share with you what I have found to work best for me.
I started with an ice cube tray (you can get these at any dollar store 2/$1.00) (and they are reuseable) drilled one drain hole in the bottom of each cube fill with starter mix (this has vermiculite and a good starter food mix along with soil.) (found at walmart)
I fill the tray with the soil moisten the soil put 1-3 seeds per cube (I don't cover my seed with dirt just let them set on top of soil) and mark my trays for what seeds are planted and then I put 2 trays per one gallon ziplock bag (serves as a greenhouse of sorts.) Depending on seed I place them either in open natural light (not direct sun light ) or if seed needs no light then I place them in a brown grocery bag. in 3-7 days all are sprouted and hope you have a garden spot to plant them. At this time you can set your seed the depth they need to be planted. If not you will need to watch them closely as they continue to grow fast and may soon need to be taken out of the ziplock. They can get leggie otherwise.
Also on thing I have tried and seems to work
When using plant markers to mark plants I use to buy them a walmart 20 in a pack for 1.97 I started to use plastic table knives.
50 or 100 for 1.00-2.00 dollars at the dollar stores. Then the trick (you say yes but the writing never stays on. well try some clear fingernail polish to seal the writing. This works for me.
Hope this helps to encourage those who are still wondering!
Have a great day! Tami

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you! I hate how expensive plant markers can be!
Michelle

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

You can also use tan masking tape too!

~* Robin

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great tips, Tami. I never thought about using an icecube try. I'm always saving the plastic containers that pastry or buns come in. They have a plastic top and bottom. I've found out the the containers that baked potatoes come in at Wendy's are also great for starting African Violet cuttings in. It has a clear top and a bottom that is easy to poke holes in. I'll have to remember about the clear nail polish over the writing on markers. For my hostas, I got one of those little devices that you click on a letter and it spits out a tag and I than stick it on a marker. They work great in my climate. They don't fade and as long as the black birds or crows don't pull them out I'm fine....lol.
:) Donna

Havre, MT(Zone 3a)

Instead of using a marker to label why not try one of those fine tip paint pens you get at craft stores. This works for me and doesn't come off. Great idea using plastic knives!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.