DG Map

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

It's all for the greater good :)
There is no "I" in Team (here we go again LOL)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Is it too late to give you my info?

Quoting:
LATITUDE 49.245600
LONGITUDE -117.65031

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Nope not too late.
I'll wait for a few days before I make the sticky thread so keep throwing those coordinates at me (throw gently :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I hadn't realized that Sticky Threads in DG came from one of our own....way to go, Milan. It's been a boon throughout the site.

Waiting for Linda to tell us if it really is 39m from her house to the neighbours' ...lol :-)

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

LOL, it's pretty darn close to 39m, I didn't measure it, but eyeballing it, it's right on.

That Milan, and GPS is just amazing.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

One item though, I do not know if I have all Canadian DG subscribers since there are some which didn't enter the Province or entered info incorrectly in their preferences thus do not show up in the Canada by Province DG Member query.
On my Map there are 71 subscribers but some are missing for sure (e.g. Joan_in_Ontario, tamatik, Solomon, Heatherbelle, Paridise) as the location info in DG was entered wrong or it is incomplete. (I got Paridise since i had her address from trades)
So please let me know who is missing from the DG member queries (with their location) so that I can add them. It also would be nice if those members corrected their preferences for future references.

Yes GPS is amazing, I did purchase my first receiver to do a little recreational "GPS treasure hunting" http://www.geocaching.com/ a few years ago which was lots of fun and brought me to cool places I never would have thought to go to. I should do that again to loose some pounds and get more fresh air :).
These days I use it mostly when I'm on travel as navigation system and it is very helpful finding places fast.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What is GPS treasure hunting Milan? (I look at it and think metal detectors).

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Milan, I'm impressed that my little pin looks like it's in the right place with just "Precipice Valley"--where on earth did you find that? Our valley is shown on an 1863 map we have, but I didn't know it was anywhere else.

We frequently have to realign our 2-way internet satellite, and use these coordinates: Lat 52.24.38.09 Long 125.37.40.78

It's great you're doing this, and thank you. My DH was just asking me if we had such a map.

Rosemary

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Voici Inanda

Lets try again here.

50º 15' 54' N
96º 42' 48 W

I'm on an authors list where everyone shows their Lat & Long. Quite fun when people go travelling and you guess where they are.

Also on a VW hunt GPS ist where the VWs are only IDed by their coordinates. Lots of them are on a caches list too but don't have time for that. I need a GPS anyway, to do that.

Inanda

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Pam
GPS treasure hunting hmmm how to explain it. Well the simple one is somebody hides a tupperware container with a log book and some Dollar store items in it somewhere (hollow tree, under a bridge,...) and then posts the coordinates of it on the internet (e.g. at the site I gave the link above) now everybody else tries to find it. Once found you enter your name and date in the log book (later on you make a log on the internet too), take one item out and but another item back in and place the container back in the location where you found it. Sounds simple enough but remember the GPS location is not always very accurate thus a bit of searching must be done. Good fun for Kids, just imagine a high tech easter egg hunt with GPS :).

Rosemary,
I did a search on Precipice Valley and not much came up in that search. Nevertheless one website for Chilcotin Region mentioned that name in some pictures and when I saw Chilko Lake mentioned there and saw your username I pretty much knew I was on the right track :)

This message was edited Mar 28, 2005 5:52 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the explaination.......I figured the coordinates would be part of it but didn't realize how exact they would have to be (obviously no metal detector is used).

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Chilko, is this where you live? I've spotted most everyone else, but could never find you. (and the dirty dog) *grin*
Pati

http://www.panorama-map.com/panoramamap/zoomzone/zchi.html

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Pam, on a good day with clear sight of the sky you can get within 3-5 meters, on a bad day 10-20 meters.
GPS is a good way to mark where one found plants in the wild :) http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/19974/

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Where can those be purchased? Are they very expensive?

Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

Here are mine
49" 49' 3"
97" 6' 15"

just south of inanda

Wilma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Ahhh trying to throw me a curved ball by changing the format to degrees-minutes-seconds eh!?
Okay can handle that Wilma and Inanda :)

Rosemary your coordinates are another story as there are many decimal points in there, I also assumed degrees-minutes-seconds but am not sure, see pic for the location and advise if correct.

Pam, cost varies greatly for GPS receivers. A simple one without map display goes for about 125 CDN, the one in the picture which has B/W map display is about 200 CDN these days, Color ones depending on features from a couple of hundred and up. The mapping software is sold separate.
http://gpscentral.ca/products.htm , http://www.gpscity.ca/ , both also sell refurbished/overhauled units at lower cost.

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Wilma I don't know about the just South of Inanda according to the data you folks gave me it's approx. 66.7km driving distance.

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks again Milan (I've bookmarked those)........it looks like something that would be a great Christmas gift. Ü

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Milan. on the prairies, 60/100km is just around the corner. Sorry, miles.
Inanda

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Ah Okay, but remember I'm from Germany where it is considered far if the dialect of the locals changes which is usually the next town within 10KM :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sounds like England where a three hour drive is a major undertaking for them. ;)

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Sorry I'm so late with my coordinates - just got back from Vegas - where I actually didn't lose my shirt :-) My numbers are: latitude 43.73, longitude -81.43. What a terrific thing you're doing for us here - thanks! --Ginny

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Done Ginny! TY

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

So when do we get to see the newest update? :)

Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

PanamonCreel
Sorry you got me too far south,
I live in Winnipeg, and you got me moved out of the city
and I didn't even know that I moved, ha, ha,
hubby will wonder where I am,
Wilma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Wilma, those are the coordinates You gave me and they put you just off "Tuffnel Dr".
You can DG Mail me your address and I can then find the correct location with my software.

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Milan--yes, degrees-minutes-seconds. You're right on! I think all your mapping is so cool--my DH's degree is in geography, and we both have a love for maps of any kind.

Just had a real go-around with Telus, our B.C. telephone company--they wouldn't upgrade our calling plan without a street address. We don't HAVE any roads to our place, just tracks. Finally went to the regional district and got an arbitrary designation: 9000 Chilcotin Highway. You saw it here first!

Patti--nice map. We're off to the left and somewhat south. It's all big, rugged country--Coast Mountains of B.C. are the unsung mountain range, often neglected because of the Rockies. Lots of lakes and rivers. No bayous or mangroves!

Rosemary

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Rosemary, that's ridiculous about Telus. Good grief. How do they handle people on farms? I guess they don't. Good for you for digging up an "address" to give them. Watch out, or you'll start getting junk mail! :-)

edited for spelling...

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 12:48 AM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

people on farms generally have a range, township and section in relation to a meridian to give as an address

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's what I thought...but it sounded to me like they wouldn't have taken that. Maybe I misunderstood. Either way, bureaucracies are the same the land over, aren't they.... :-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

How's the map coming Milan? Getting impatient for the newest update. :)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Not much changed on it , still 71 subscribers and just slight movement on some pins so nothing different enough to show yet.
Still need input from you folks on who is missing in the DG subscriber list per province and if you kindly could ask those to update their preferences so that they show up correctly. (Remember we are a team :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I can't think of any off the top of my head Milan, but I will definitely keep my eyes open while reading threads.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Milan you've got mail.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's a link that shows all Canadian subscibers......I used to be able to see it by clicking on the (Ca) that IMCANADIAN had listed under her name: http://davesgarden.com/memberlist/viewby.php?showonlysubbers=1&area=country&arg1=CA&sort=country&o=asc
Milan kindly supplied me with it again since my bookmark is on the wrong puter now.

So far I've written Oconus, Wendy and Sputter.......maybe peeps could take a few of the unknowns off the list and we'd have everyone contacted (some may chose not to participate however).

edited to say if people here do contact some off the list it would be best to list the one's they've contacted here so we don't duplicate each others efforts.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 11:55 AM

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Make sure that you link them back to this thread so that they know what we are trying to achieve and also advise them tho feel free to ask questions.

BTW anyone not willing to share location information will be placed into the furthest Northern areas of Canada on my map (just kidding :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the list, Pam. Those three that you mentioned are the only ones I can see, who don't have a town/province listed....which other unknowns are you referring to?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOL @ Milan. ;)

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 12:01 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Milan only has 71 listed so I'm guessing that he doesn't have the ones that only have city listed.

Are those the ones that are missing Milan?

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Anybody after "IAMCANADIAN" on the list has errors in their location entries , e.g Province is not entered in the correct spot or is missing, Province had been entered incorrectly (e.g. "B.C". instead of "BC") thus they do not show up on the standard by Province Subscribers list on DG.
The DG by province list had 71 Subscribers and this list has 111 so 40 are MIA :)

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 2:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.