Coffee Break w The Coleus "Addicts"

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh my goodness, I feel like a whirlwind just blew through!!!LOL Welcome and come back soon!
Pati

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Julie that sounds fine with me. The heat here is hot, hot. and I have closed the green house for the summer. Will take cuttings this fall for next year. That is if they make it thru this dry hot spell.
Still owe Sue a trade that did not make it to Calf.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Julie,
My Molten Lava is in part sun, It gets about 3 hours of morning sun, then shade the rest of the day. I have all my coleus in containers, so I can move them if I need to. I figure once I understand what they like I can plant some of them in beds because I love the way they look in the garden.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Sandy...I certainly hope you didn't get TOO much 'coffee' ...I don't think you needed it! LOL (Welcome aboard!)

Ted...I'm so glad you'll wait for fall for the Defiance. I was really afraid we'd lose the plants if I tried to mail them now.

Cindy...thanks for the info on your positioning of the Molton Lava plant. That's exactly what I needed to know. Right now the only coleus I have actually planted in the soil is a couple of Rose Wizard plants I started from seed. I had so many germinate that I had plenty to experiment with. I'm glad I did it though. They aren't doing as well as the ones I put in containers, even with the same amount of sunlight. The coloring is obviously the same but the growth rate is really slow. (I guess I learned that the commercials about the Miracle Grow potting are true! Do you suppose that it has something to do with the 'built in' fertilizer in the potting soil? LOL And it might have something to do with the fact that I'm far better at watering my containers! :-D)

Now, if someone can point me in the direction of the thread where I *was* keeping track of our trades (LOL...that was back before I starting digging in the garden dirt!) I'll see what I have listed for trade this year. (I can't believe it's taken me nearly to July before I catch my breath and get back here!)

~julie~

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's what my DD and I are going to invent.....PLANTS ON ROLLERS.....Perfect for this situation....Right?

Good Morning All.....

oceangirl, Coleus in containers are the BEST!!! I don't really have a choice (bad knees, can't dig), but I think even if I could make a bed of them I would still have containers. I move them around in different combinations almost everyday.

I have whined about my "Sidona" not living up to expectations...so disappointed. Then we had heavy rains, the planter holes stopped up, so they just floated around for about 3 days. I put them in small pots and in the sun to dry out and forgot about them. You should see them now! They just love the sun and have grown in size and color. Now the cuttings begin!
Pati

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad to hear that about Sedona - I will go out and drown it tomorrow. I gave it the same treatment i gave the other potted coleus and it is growing so slowly. Think I only have two cuttings from it.

LOL se_eds. I think it was just grateful to get dried out...I am still amazed at the growth rate and the COLOR!!!!
Pati

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning everyone :)
Thought I would pop in and say hi..... my DH is off until Tuesday so he lets me sleep in and he gets up w/ the kids, so I'm on my second cup of coffee, and have my day planned.
I'm gonna separate the huge Kong I got , pinch off and plant some of that Lava Rose, do a couple new hanging baskets, and we have a progect for the cistern cover so that its covered and the kids can't walk on it..... it involves dome shaped tent poles, chicken wire, zip ties, and a BUNCH of morning glories LOL
Will post pics at some point!
See y'all soon :)
Janis

Good Morning????? Wow are you the lucky girl! LOL Sounds like you'll makeup for sleeping in with a full day. Don't forget the pictures.
Pati

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Pati,
I hope so, we just had a thundershower, and now the humidity is about 200%
WAHHHHHHHHHH.......
The rain was gentle tho, and now it smells all earthy outside.... we need rain so bad, we had a problem with our well the other day, and we are afraid we ran out of water. It has built back up, but I'm worried about how much water we are using.
Laundry is piling up, gonna try to do 1 or 2 loads today, and we're saving milk jugs to fill as back up
Gonna be a long summer
I'll start a thread over on the photo forum in a bit, showing our house and land ok?
I'll post the link here.

Janis

Having a well can sure be a problem! We have a well here and after losing power for a couple of weeks after the hurricanes all the water in the well didn't help much...electric pump!! *grin*

I'll follow you over to the Photo Forum for the pix.
Pati

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL We had a huge black out a couple summers ago.... no power and no water for 4 days... in August.

Got to shut down again, thunder is back.... hopefully I'll get the pix up soon LOL

C ya in a bit
Janis

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Pati, just posted the first picture... here is the thread
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525311/

Janis

Thanks Woofy...great pictures! Somehow I never think of Ohio as having mountains.
Pati

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Pati, at 662 feet, it's hardly mountains... except maybe compared to Ft. Pierce. LOL!

(Sure is pretty, though)

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Darius! Thanks alot, we like it here.
I loved driving through KY and TN, on my way back and forth from AL. Beautiful mountain scenery there, and I got to go 100 miles on the oh geez now I can not remember the name....
the parkway through the Smokies. That was awesome!

Janis

This message was edited Jun 30, 2005 5:37 PM

Blue Ridge Parkway

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Thanks!
I knew it right before I tried to type it, it just left :)

Janis

LOL, happens to me all the time!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Janis,

Might I suggest for water conservation, switch your machine (automatic?) over to one rinse and don't over do the soap.

I have done mine this way for several years now. I do use a liquid soap. But I have never experienced any discomfort in my clothes for having only rinsed once.

Just a thought.

Molly
:^)))

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Julie,
I'm sure the potting mix, and the extra attention, are both helping your coleus!

Pati, I do love them in containers. They seem to thrive in them too. My mom goes to Fort Pierce almost every winter- she didn't make it last winter- but she loves it there.

I love it here too! Left Miami to move here almost three years ago, best move I ever made. It's like a small town oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle of "tourist" Florida. Hard to find a place like this so close to the ocean.
Pati

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning all~
I know grumble grumble~~ its noon. I've been up a bit, had a busy day yesterday (and DH knows I love to sleep in)
Had my first ever MG bloom today :) I'm very proud of it.

We are cleaning out the gutters today (hasn't been done in like 3 yrs yuck!)
Then I am planting the MG's around the dome we made yesterday over the cistern.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525357/
I hope to plant some more coleus today.... and I have to seperate the Kong and the Lava Rose.
Will talk to you all soon :)

Janis

Janis,

You do know that morning glories bloom in the morning. You have to get up a bit earlier......................don't mind me, can't figure out why I'm being so cocky today.

I'm just trying to have a little fun. Got some roots starting on those coleus for ya.

Molly

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

ROFL Molly.... I know. I hate mornings :(
I have some Moonvines too..... I'll see more of those bloom I"m sure :)
Next Year I'm doing a moon garden (for the kids ya know) of all stuff that blooms in the evening. I might catch some of the MG's when Jeff goes back to work.

Excellent about the coleus..... did you seem my post about the farmers market? I got a really pretty Lava Rose Trailing Coleus :)

Hugs,
Janis

Thumbnail by Woofens

Sorry Janis,

I missed that post, but that MG up above is sure purty. I have no dark blues like that. Maybe I have some seed somewhere, I probly do, gotta find them and throw some out by the fence.

Nice thing about Florida, although the MG's act like annuals down here, once they throw off a few seeds, ya got continuous vines and flowers growing......all year. Just have to clear out the dead vines periodically.

Molly

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try again to show a couple of my coleus. My computer was in hosp. for a couple of days. Got it back last eve and tried to post some coleus photos but couldn't get them on. So will try again. Here is Atlas in a large pot with other plants. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

I love how the Persian Shield picks up the purple!
Pati

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is Victorian Ruffles. Donnas

Thumbnail by rutholive
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

rutholive, your container is so well proportioned and designed. Victorian Ruffles is so pretty. I have one which was labeled "Ruffles" but it looks different. Will have to photo it.

All my young plants are growing like crazy. They are in pots and get fish emulsion in their drinking water.

I transplanted some to larger containers. Here is "Freckles" and "Sky Fire". SF turned very pretty since I put it in the sun

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Also had to replant The Flume and Dipt in Wine as they out grew their pots.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

seeds....I'm not sure I like what Sky Fire does in the sun.....it is much darker than mine is now....Was yours lighter and more hot pink when you started?

Hap

Good Morning all,

I am a member of the National Home Gardening Club and I volunteer to be a product tester whenever I can.

The other day they sent me a packette of Coleus seeds, Rainbow Mixed Colors. After I plant, germinate and grow them, I complete a questionnaire and send it back.

The last time they sent me seeds, they were tomatoes from Parks. Not one germinated.

Any tips on growing these? I've never grown coleus from seed. These are from Hart's.

Molly

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Morning all, first cup coffee, good and tasty.
Good luck on those Coleus seeds Molly, some of the trays you saw in that zoom through my garden were Rainbow mixed. If I had to rate them I say 110% germination, easy, sow, and grow.
The colors were muddy, even after fish emulsion. I'll keep appying that though. Down there I'd plant outside forget them.
Sounds like a fun club.
sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy 1 - when I got Sky Fire it was a dark color with no gold edges or dark red in the leaves. I wasn't thrilled with it but when I set it in the sun, it gets prettier every day.

Pics are dark as I took them in the evening.

Grew a lot of coleus seeds in the past. I always grew them a little dry on the surface after they emerged. O/W they damped off for me.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of my Garden kaleidescope bowl. In the center are two coleus Screaming Raspberry and Burning Bush. I thought that thwy would look nice through the kaleidescope but they haven't grown at all. So I will have to move them. Maybe it is just too hot in that location. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I can see a kaleidescope.

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi all!

The next time I have the dumba$$ Idea to go on an atv run, someone come here and smack me, tie me up, something PLEASE!!!!!

I hurt in places I didn't know I had. I have briuses on my behind, sunburn so bad I can't touch my shoulders, blisters on my hands, and yes I'm whining LOL The first 10 miles weren't so bad, the next 22 miles were torture.

I really did have a good time though, just really need to get a wrap around seat for the rack of the bike. They sell them, my sis and her hubby have one, is is like sitting in a dang car seat when you ride in it. The pillows bunjee corded to the seat wuold have done more for me if I had bunjeed them to my rear end LOL

Oh, well, I guess today is an inside day, gonna maybe transplant some stuff that needs it (petunias in a flat) and lay around..... oh and I will have to post pics of the sunburn..... when I was mud splattered I didn't burn so I haave so VERY interesting patterns on my arms and back :)
Hope everyone had a good day yesterday and another today :)

Janis (who will quit whining soon, promise )

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Rutholive
Screaming Raspberry would be so nice with the purple parts on the other flowers. Is your weather cool yet? My coleus jumped 6 inches during our week of 90 degree+ weather.
Claire

We still are in a drought. I am hand watering all my potted coleus plants. And they are outgrowing their pots. I had originally planned to plant them in among the day lillies. sigh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.