Coffee Break w The Coleus "Addicts"

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I just *had* to start a central 'break room' here in the Coleus forum. After all, we *do* need a place to just go to check in, let everyone know we're still alive after doing all that coleus shopping and when the plants arrive, we need a place to yell "YIPPPPEEEEEE! They're HERE!" Right?

Nancy Lee...I'm just SO glad you got this forum started! It's already such a FUN place to hang out. Would you believe that I don't even bother to put threads on my 'Watch list' any more? I know I'll be looking into each thread every time I get to the forum and all those "yes" markers tell me someone else has posted.

It's such a great day outside, I've actually gotten to dig in the dirt for the first time since I froze my behinder off planting bulbs last fall. I've moved several daylilies, 4 little Russian Olive bushes, 3 yuccas, and a whole mess of Liatris! They were all planted in a bed that will (hopefully) soon be covered over with my new potting bench. That 'potting bench' is going to be about 4 X 24 feet long. And it really isn't planned for potting...it's going to be the 'shelf' to hold my new mini-greenhouses! I can't wait! It's sure going to be nice when I can move all my seedlings outside...I do have to plant MORE you know. So I really need the space. LOL

SOooooo...what are *you* doing today?

I'll be back after a while. I sure hope someone stops by and leaves me a note. ;-)

~julie~

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've been in and out of the forum today. Had to do some transplanting and start a few seeds soaking today. Think I'll watch a little TV and catch you all when you get back.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

What's the weight on those? how do you keep 'em from blowing away? tie downs? hi Julie, just surfin' but I wondered?

Hi Julie!
Sounds like you have been busy outdoors. We now have our rains back and today was Rain/Wind and a few Thunder rumbles! Much to nasty to get outside and do anything.
I did do some transplanting of potted Fuschia's, took some cuttings and hope for the best. I always seem to missplace the darn ID tags on the plants and can't remember their names. It doesnt take away the beauty of the plants but feel so dumb at times when people ask what variety is that???
Have you ever done that? LOL I sure hope so I don't want to be the only one that does.... :-)
Oh I forgot!
Happy Easter everyone.................

This message was edited Mar 27, 2005 12:17 AM

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Happy Easter to everyone...

HI Brugie...glad you stopped in and hope you had an nice day yesterday.

Blooms...the mini-greenhouses are lightweight to carry, but the ones I got are definitely "heavy duty" in terms of construction. If a person were to use them on the ground like you're supposed to, you'd use stakes to hold the bottom rim down. Since I'll be using them on the raised 'bench' I'll be using bungee cords wrapped from one side, then under the bench and back to the other side. We have some pretty high springtime winds here, so I was more than a little apprehensive about putting my hard work at risk inside something that was going to blow away...or blow apart. :-D But after really taking a good look at how they're made and how I'm going to use them, I feel a lot more comfortable about it now.

Hi Kin...good to see you over here. I saw a program not too long ago about lady whose backyard was filled with Fuschia plants. They were gorgeous! And she had gotten most of those plants by taking cuttings. I was really impressed with what she had accomlished. Are they difficult to root? And what method do you use to root yours?

As to the losing the ID tags of my plants...weeeeel, um...let's just say I've lost more than my share of them of the years. LOL Last year when I got back into gardening, serious gardening, for the first time in about 40 years, I remember talking to someone about my hostas. They asked my what variieties I had in my collection. My answer was "Oh, I don't go in for those 'snooty' names, I just love having something that will grow." I look back on that now and smile to myself. My garden, believe it or not, was based on memories of my family...all (or most) of my daylilies are in my garden because of their names (the first one I bought was called 'Yesterday's Memories)...my coral bells (now, I'm able to call them heuchera) are there because I remember them from the back porch of my garndmother's farmhouse...and the story goes on and on. Boring, I'm sure, but now when I see something starting to grow I call it by name. It's like being able to visit the 'old times' again. I guess the ID's don't really matter to me nearly as much as the memories that are attached to them.

Sorry...didn't mean to go that far...oh, well...I guess you know a little more about me and why I garden. I hope you don't mind. It these "Coffee Break" rooms. They always make me feel like I'm sitting in my kitchen talking with old friends. :-D

Thanks again for dropping in, everyone. I love meeting new people (Kin) and so enjoy seeing my DG friends from other threads.

Have another great day...and enjoy yourself!

~julie~

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Julie, your posts make me smile as I sit here drinking my coffee! I wander around my gardens and look at plants I got from others, and have memory flashbacks and smiles that go with them. I started gardening because of my Mom, in fact hubby & I bought the house from my parents and so I have several things here that she originally planted. Mom & I love going to nurseries, garden tours and daylily club meeting together. We are co-conspiretors (sp?) in talking each other into buying something when we had really inteneded to be reasonable with our spending. It is a wonderful bond to have with your Mom, this sharing of nuturing a plant.
Many things I keep for sentimental value even though my garden is so small, I really need to move some things out to make room for new things.
Coleus, my new passion and loving this forum, that's for sure! I was so bad with cuttings I got from Badseed last fall, potted them up and set them out and had an unexpected very early frost and lost them, boy that was a hard lesson. :-( (Don't read this shame 'Chelle!) Trying seeds this year for the first time, Park's Exhibition mix and a Rainbow mix and then on for hunting out the WOW ones in the nurseries. I loved this copper one.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2005 10:39 AM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Sue I'm so glad you came in for a coffee break. And I'm glad I could bring a smile to your face (or heart, as the case may be.) I so envy you and your relationship with your mom. I lost mine when she was only 48 and I've been rather alone since that time. It does *my* heart good to hear about someone who truly knows the value of a mom. Trust me, these are times you will never, ever forget. And the gardens you build together will keep you two close long into the future.

That's a lovely copper coleus. I fell in love with the copper ones last year and this season I have quite a few growing from seed. It looks like Park's is a favorite source for coleus seeds. Lots of us are growing them.

I hope you'll stop in again sometime and tell me what kind of 'trouble' you and your mom are getting into. :-D (Give her a hug from me, would ya? And tell her she's a lucky lady to have a dear daughter like you.)

~julie~

Thanks Julie! :-)
And you bet I will be back, I am reading this forum daily.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Julie Got a cutting in water for you. Will take more soon as the weather is getting warmer all the time. All mine are going in the ground this year and it is my first year growing them. Thanks to you and others. Today I tore apart my vegie pond and water fall. Moving the falls to a new location next to the house and then a stream going down to the vegie pond. Will make a little bridge over it. Moved ten wheelbarrow loads of rock today and more to go. Will take out the old liner and put in a new one which will add fiver more feet to the vegie pond. Will try making faux rock waterfall. Hope to finish it by my 72 birthday. Ted

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Gee Ted...you should have at least 15 or 20 years before your 72nd birthday. You won't have any problem at all getting that pond done by then! :-D

Sounds to me like you've got a lot of work laid out ahead of you...and hard work to boot. It's going to be beautiful...and you'll love having it.

Right now, I'm babysitting with my 18 mon old DGD for Monday - Wednesday every week (I *hate* divorces!) so my time with my plants and yardwork is really taking a back seat.

So if anyone notices that I'm here in 'dribs and drabs' the first part of the week, now you know why.

~julie~

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY Julie..............I just found this thread. Where have I been? And thanks for the thanks. You're sweet.

I actually been working. My manager is gone and I'm doing two jobs now. Some days I come home and go to bed,,,,,almost for the night. UGH.

Well, right now I would love a cup; hope it's left from this am so it's nice and strong. Maybe then I will be able to spray the weeds/grass where am putting in new beds. For lots of coleus for sure. The wind has finally stopped so I don't have to worry about over-spray. I usually use a pretty hefty strength...........I'm the impatient type. When I get to want things gone, I want them gone yesterday.

I agree that this forum is really nice. It's nice getting close to people, be it over the web, that have the same interest. With our busy lives, it's sometime hard to find someone near ones home that even knows what a coleus it. In fact, when I told people what I was up to the said, What's a coleus. Not even, what does that plant look like. Oh well. we have all found home now.

Take care, got to get spraying, thanks for the coffee.

Hap

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Hap! You're probably already at work, or on your way, as I write this message.

It was along day yesterday...Wednesday is the last day of my babysitting week and since DGD isn't picked up until 7:00 p.m. I'm so pooped I don't usually even get back to the computer. HA! I can bearly *move* after a 12 hour stint with her, much less think well enough to answer anyone. :-D

As soon as I wake up (after a couple more cups a joe!) I'll be catching up on my neglected threads...and probably come back here to re-read what I've probably missed. LOL

~julie~

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh Julie, you are such a brave soul having babies around.

Yeh, I'm just about to hit the road for my long and treacherous drive to work. I't a total of 1 mile. So rough..... The other thing is that I usually get into work so early......9am....another roughy. I live being Queen......

BTW your coffee is great this am. Will stop and pick up some cookies for later for us. Chocolate OK?

See ya later...

Hap

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Julie I'm pouring a cup and checking in.
Sidney

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Good Morning Hap! LOL Yeah...you got it rough there, for sure. hehehe
If you happen to come across some biscotti (I love almond) that would be great. I like chocolate, too! :-D

Hi Sidney! Glad you found us...nice to have you in the break room, too.

I'm on my way outside to lay out some new beds and hopefully get some rhubarb and hollyhocks in the ground before it rains again. Spring is definitely on it's way...just wish it would show it's sunny side for while now.

~julie~

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How lucky we are....Just picked up some Chocoated Almond Biscotti from Restaurant Depot...My DH loves it too. I got the plate so I will just set it on the table.

Again our weather is outstanding. It sunny and 89. I'm further from the ocean, about 13 miles, so it gets a little warmer "Out West" as they say, than the beach area. The the reverse is true in the winter. We will be cooler. Maybe even down to 55..........Oh dear, oh dear.

I still love to garden in the heat. I sweat like crazy, but I don't mind.......except when my mascara runs in my eyes.

Gots to go. See ya later.....

Hap

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd stop in for a quick "cup". I can't pop in too often, but am loving all those gorgeous pics posted. I've got a bunch of seedlings in the greenhouse and can't wait to get the season started. I didn't winter over any of my plants this year, just didn't have the room in the greenhouse. I usually have a couple dozen plants at the least in my containers and gardens every year.

Hap.... 89*? whiiine! We barely hit 60's lately sniff sniff...

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Just stopping for a short cup. Just got back from the Denist. LOL
DW is eating a big meal and laughing at me trying to talk and cant eat.
Finely got the Vegi pond tore out and all the gunk went into the new Coleus bed.
Now to dig it larger. Moved the Bio filter up the bank 12 feet to make a little stream. Took cuttings from all the Coleus that I got from singing hills yesterday.
Verculmite is sure hard to find. Every one has stopped stocking it.

Coffie was good.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Ted, sounds like you've had a very productive day, and OUCH, on the dentist. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Just wanted to stop and say hi to everyone. Today was absolutely beautiful here in SE OH,about 70 degrees and a little breezy. My kinda weather!

Yesterday, my little greenhouse showed up, and we got it put together, last night. We ordered it from Sam's Club and it is only 10x10, but it is big enough for what I want to do, and a small electric heater will heat it. Today, we started putting together the shelves, but had to stop to go pick up my anniversary(misp) present....2 tons of mushroom compost....a man after my heart, for sure!!!.10 years is compost isn't it?LOL... Anyway, life is grand, the peepers are singing, and I'm as happy as if I'm in my right mind...

Thanks, for listening, and the coffee was great!

Dee

Sounds great Dee. God is good all the time.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hay Tar, Sorry you couldn't have a biscotti.........they're great.

I think it was your stream I saw on another thread, yes? WOW what an undertaking. Glad you're putting in coleus...

Hap

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

WaHoooooo! Coffee, biscotti...and ALL these notes left on the kitchen table while I was gone! Super!

Hap it was pretty cool here today, but I still got some planting done and the sun did come out this afternoon to make it all that much nicer. I think we might have hit the mid 40's. (I'd really rather *not* do the sweating routine. It always ends up dripping down my nose. hehehe)

Jody...Hi and Welcome to our break room. You're welcome to drop in any time. And we won't even expect you to keep up with all the other notes so you can just say "Hi" and run back to your garden.

Ted! Wow! Guy. You're really hard at work already. When did you say you were having that birthday? LOL I think you're going to make it!

Hi Dee! You'll have to show us your greenhouse when you get it al together. My DS tried to talk my DH into buying me one of those at Sam's last week. (I probably should have paid DS *more* money...maybe I would have gotten it. hahaha)

Hi Sidney...you got *that* right!

Went to Wally world tonight. While I was picking out outfits for the grandbaby, DH was in the garden dept buying me things I have no idea where I'm going to plant. LOL He's *so* funny. Tonight it was Dahlias and Lilies of the Valley...plus the 6 Pretoria Cannas *I* spotted on the way in the door. :-D I do believe that there will be very little lawn to mow when I'm finished planting this season.

Have a great evening everyone! And thanks for dropping by.

~julie~

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes, Sidney, aint that the truth!

Julie, are you talking about the rubbermaid greenhouse at Sam's? Those sure are nice. The one that we ordered on line, is just a portable. It has a steel frame,with a one piece, slip-over cover. But when you have none, it is wonderful. I had a greenhouse back in Indiana (we moved to Ohio, last August), and I sure was missing it. I really didn't think I would have one at all this year.So, I am doing the snoopy dance! I will take pics soon.
Dee

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Good Morning Everyone!
Fresh coffee is brewing...and should be done in a minute or so.

Dee...I'm not sure which greenhouse my DS was looking at. He was there, we were home and those cell phones really come in handy for those time times when DS sees something while he's out shopping. Al I remember is that the GH he was looking at had metal frame and glass or plastic inserts for the covering. It wasn't over $500.00 and I came really close to getting it.

Here's a link to a thread (another 'break room' LOL) where I've posted my mini-gh set-up.

~julie~

??????

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Julie, after you get that first cup of coffee down, could you post the link?? LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Kids,

On my way to the kitchen, just thought I would stop in for a little "jump start". Julie, I love your coffee, it's so nice and strong. Can't wait until tomorrow.....out in the garden. They predict rain, but who cares.....I won't shrink.. That's a good thing for now I am only 5'.

And I promise folks, I get a camera this weekend. Got to show what's left of my 8' coleus.

Up and at 'em now....hit the bricks. hi, ho, it's off to work I go...

Hap

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL Hey Hap...evidently that coffee wasn't strong enough...forgot to paste in the link once I had it copied. :-D (Have a good day at work...if there is such a thing as a 'good' day. And I can't wait to see your GIANT!)

Sugarweed and Dee...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/495294/
There it is! Sorry bout that. LOL

~julie~

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Good Morning everyone. It's been beautiful the past 3 days here, nice warm weather. I am so sore from working in the gardens, cleaning, burning leaves, what a mess winter makes. I can't wait to see the leaves on the trees.

DeeS where is Gallipolis, Ohio? I live in Western PA not far from the Ohio border.

I'm going on Vacation next week, all the ladys in my family are going to my aunts in Naples, Florida. Can't wait, she said it's very warm there and beautiful, everything is green and the skys are blue. Everything looks so dead looking around here. Since I'm the only gardener, don't know if I'll get to scope out the nurserys or greenhouses down there. I have a cousin who lives in Fort Lauderdale and he wants us to go see him while were down there. I'm going to miss this wonderful garden site and all my friends, and yes I'll miss my hubby to, but a week goes fast. I'm leaving on Wed. next week and will be back the following wed.

Looking around my gardens I discovered how lazy I got last year. I didn't deadhead my foxglove and I have hundreds of plants in one bed that must have germinated late last year they are growing beautiful, but way to many. If any of you want some when I get home I'll send for postage. I had all colors so they will be mixed. I'm going to take a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Cathy

Oh my, Cathy's post sounded just like me this morning, I'm nursing my first cup of java but I can barely walk from overdoing it in the garden yesterday, the weather was just so nice.
I planted a whole new bed out front along the street, a mixture of things, I just have to add a few fillers which I will do with seedlings of various things I am starting, nasturiums, coleous, etc.
Glad I have to work indoors today, I don't think I could lift a shovel for a while.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Julie, great set up! And your little angel, is adorable!

Cathy,Gallipolis is in the hills of SE Ohio, on the WV border (right across the river). It is 109 miles SE of Columbus, and is my home town. I had been living in IN for about 25 years.After DH retired(and I took early retirement..grin), he decided that he really liked it here(he's a hoosier, by birth...LOL), so we moved last August.

Dee

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Cathy...put me on your list for a BIG box of those foxgloves, please! I'm so glad you found our break room...hope we'll be seeing more of you in the months to come. (On the personal side here...((((( ~ HUGS ~ ))))) those are for ALL the seedlings that I have coming up in my winter sown containers! Without you (and DG, of course!) I'd be trying to plan a bank heist...lol. And yes, you sent me foxglove seeds...but if I can get more I have plenty of space to plant them. :-D Maybe the time will be a bit short...but not space.)
I almost wish I was going on that trip with you. But when I think of all I have to get ready for when spring finally arrives...well, you know the rest of THAT story, I'm sure.

Hi C_Sue! Good to see you here too. I know how you feel about that shovel. Just thinking about getting to a shovel right now makes this ole gal ache!

Thanks Dee! I think DH did a fantistic job...and the whole idea of getting those units up off the ground was completely his. I think it had something to do with the fact that that project would get him out of building a real greenhouse. hehehe. But I think it's going to work just fine. And I love that he tokk my idea for enclosing the base with lattice panels. That gives me plenty (well, almost ~grin~) of room to store pots and bags of compost and soil.

And thanks for compliment on the 'Angel' she is one of the dearest things that ever came into my life. I went shopping yesterday and came home with the cutest outfit for her. The little shirt says "Garden Girl" (Budding Beauty) on it...and I absolutely *had* to have it. She's my little garden buddy. She just loves to touch the 'baby flowers' (seedlings) and help me gently sprinkle them with water. I have to admit that mostly we just squirt each other with the bottle...but it's FUN! :-D

~julie~

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm having my tea, my greenhouse has been watered, and now I'm waiting on my two youngest granddaughters to arrive with there mom. We don't get to see them very often, so I'm getting excited. One of the babes loves to garden, so she and I will probably go to the greenhouse and find some plants for her to take home. What do you want to bet she gets some coleus? LOL! Have a great day everyone. I'm going to.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey Brugie! Ain't it great when we get DGDs that like to play in the dirt with us? LOL Start her off right and she'll never get rid of that gardening bug...I didn't. And it was ALL my grandmother's fault. hehehe

Have fun!
~julie~

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Julie, I sure will send you a Huge box of foxglove, I have lots to go around, forgot to take a picture, but I will. I'm so happy your winter sowing is going good for you. I also winter sown a few flats, mostly poppy seeds.

DeeS I think your close to a friend of mine who lives in Vincent Ohio, she about 1/2 hour drive from Marietta Ohio. I usually take a trip to her house in the spring or summer. She's on Daves, but not lately. Her Daves name is Ruthfilrose. She has a wonderful daylily business at her home, she grows a lot of plants. I have several cuttings of perilla magilla, I'll save you one.

I decided to work some more in the gardens and let the chickens out for some exercise and 2 are still on the loose, they are bad girls. They don't want to go back into there pens, and I'm to tired to chase chickens today. They should be ok until my DH gets home. I have 8, 3 died this winter, but they usually follow me with no problem, not today.

Cathy

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

hehehe I wouldn't follow you on a nice day either, Cathy. LOL (Unless of course, you were digging up foxgloves. :-D) Thanks for the plants. Let me know when you're ready to send them, I'll try to get the postage there beforehand. I checked my Strawberry Mertensis this afternoon...and it's showing new growth! I'm so excited! (But then you already knew that, didn't you? :-))

~julie~

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Cathy, what kind of chickens do you have? We had chickens when I was a kid, and I tried to talk my DH into getting some, when we lived in the boonies, but he wouldn't cave in...I would have gotten them anyway, but I didn't think I could build a chicken house...LOL

Looks like Vincent is about 55 miles from Gallipolis, but I hadn't heard of it, before now. Marietta is 67 miles straight up the river rd.(route 7) Haven't been there in years.

Thanks, so much for saving the perilla magilla, for me. I think it's beautious!!!

Dee

I work over there close to ya'll I think at a power plant called willows island. (I think.) Does that sound familiar? It's actually been a few years.
I would love some of those foxglove. They are just gorgeous, and I guess you only have to plant once. I'll send back some coleus bare root and some cuttings. I'll check the pf, they may be heat shy.
Sidney

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Checking in for a cup of coffee. Temping to start putting out my plants. Is down to 42 this morning. Hope it is finished and spring is truly here.
Cathy I want to trade for some of the foxglove.
Will start again on my pond construction this morning. Finished tearing out the waterfall and vegie garden. Will dig it larger today and line it with concrete stepping stones.
Took four cuttings from all five Coleus that I got from Singing Hills. Got them in Vermiculite and water. Will be ready for trades soon.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

HI everyone!

Ted...it sounds to me like you'd better be careful. With all that work you'll be losing so much weight no one will be able find you in a few weeks. LOL And this is the time of year that I really miss living in Okla. By DH's birthday on the last day of March, all the bulbs had already bloomed and were fading fast. I sure miss the long growing season I had back in Tulsa. (BUT I *don't* miss the heat and humidity that went along with it. :-))

Today, I'm going to try to catch up with all the threads in the coleus forum that I've missed this week. But I'm going to have to do it during coffee (...and bathroom) breaks while I'm working outside. :0D

I love Wisconsin...but it seems like it takes forever for spring to actually arrive here.

Well...finished my coffee and now I'm on my way out to plant some Lily of the Valley and a few Daylily roots.

See y'all later!

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.