How do you know how to propagate something?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I have this huge Russion sage I actually don't care for but if it can be propogated from cuttings I'd rater do that and give the thing away than dig it up and trash it...

But my bigger question is how do you know? For instance it would never have occured to me to get rooted cuttings from my gardina, but now I have read here somewhere that you can do that, or from my Schefflera (which by the way- how do I do that? can I cut the top growth?). How do you figure these things out? Is there a rule of thumb?

Heather

Edited because I can't spell worth a darn.... LOL!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2005 11:53 PM

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

It is not straight forward because some plants can only be propagated by root division / cutting such as hostas, daylilies, astilble, etc. Plants which forms rhizomes, or other root structures (bulbs etc) are most often divided this way also, or by scaling etc. Several perennials you can take cuttings from, but others need to be divided by the roots. It depends on where the meristem tissue (embroyonic tissue) is located. This tissue contain DNA information required for propagation.

I am not familiar with shefferella plants (? spelling ?) but you can always try.

Normally, I try tip cuttings on young plants, and if it does not work, then you have to do more research. Some plants are just hard to root.

Russian sage, you do not need to throw out. You can dig it, and divide the rootball into several smaller portions and trade each section. This would be very acceptable to most people (I'll trade for a division). They are easy to grow from stem cuttings, too. Just cut the tips of the new shots in early summer just below a set of leaves. Remove the bottom set of leaves and stick in moist potting soil and keep in high humidity (covered with plastic for example) for 7-14 days in the shade. They root easily.

If you are interested in trading a division, let me know.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

There are some general guidelines but it can depend on what results you are looking for. Some plants such as philodendron and pothos rarely set flowers so the production of seed is rare. Cuttings are the preferred method of propagaion. Shrubs and some trees would take a long time to develop from seed even though they produce seed prolificly. Layering and cuttings are used best here. If you collect seeds from a hybrid plant, it is not likely that the seed will produce plants identical to the parent plant but nice plants may be produced anyway. For an exact duplicate of a hybrid perennial, divide the root system, take cuttings or layer. For bulb plants, separate scales, spoon or divide. Even hybrid seeds you purchase may not always produce what you expect but the percentage is high. The more times a particular hybrid comes true the less likely it is to produce a deviation.
For cuttings and layering the best results come from green (new) wood. Outside, my favorite propagation tool is a brick. I place it on top of a node to keep the node in contact with the ground. Several weeks later I can cut a new plant away from the parent plant. For more exact info on a specific method of propagation, ask your local Extension office for a publication. Sandy

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

kdjoergensen - I will most likely be dividing it and possibly tring to get cuttings this spring (to early yet around here) I will make sure you get one. I am not sure if I don't like it because it is too big for the space I put it in or I just don't like it- I think it is spacing and it is very wispy looking and where I have it, wispy isn't what I should be going for. It is really pretty in bloom and the bees LOVE it.

Catch up with me in Late April and we'll see where it is in growth...

Heather

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Heather, if you save a division for yourself and move it off to the side somewhere, try cutting it back in Jun like you do mums, asters and even sedum. I guess I have a love-hate relationship with mine because they do tend to flop open. That and they're trying to colonize on me via seeds and starting to run a bit. I'm moving mine out of the center bed this spring, but had never considered dividing them. So it was good to find this thread.
I have lifted volunteers and rooted cuttings before though.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2005 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

your schefflera can be cut off at the top. Strip two or three of the bottom leaves leaving at least two leaves on the top. Use rooting powder or not. I stick mine in a mason jar of moist vermiculite and then cover with a plastic baggie. Give bright light but not direct sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.