Look whats blooming at my house!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Pink Champagne Clematis, she is blooming her heart out for me. I have her planted in with my Thunbergia Grandiflora & she has to really compete for space, so I guess she is trying to get all her blooming done before the T's really start filling out. LOL

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Wow..it's beautiful! Nice job PudgyMudpies!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I love clematis and have a new garden structure that I think it would look nice on....it seems delicate to me though, so I have never tried one. What does it need light and water-wise? Maybe I can find a spot for one!

This area gets morning sun and then shade in the summer....

Thumbnail by picturelady
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Such a pretty flower. I have tried to grow these over the years and sadly they never do great for me. I have seen well grown ones, and I am thrilled with them.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, the experts say that Clematis need full sun on the top & the roots in shade. I am up to 19 clematis & I have them alllllll over the place. LOL
I have some that are on the east side of the house in pots & climbing up the legs of my patio cover, and the sun is blocked by the eaves by 10am and they do fine. The one in the pic is on the west side of the house in the ground & the trees keep it in nearly full shade & as you can see, it is happy.
So I think our California weather is hot enough that direct sun is probably not needed.
Picturelady, your trellis is lovely and I don't think you would have any problems planting one there, just keep in mind that they do not bloom all summer. I usually get 2 bloomings a year on mine, the Jackmanii seems to be the longest. They do look really fragile and I guess they are, it always amazes me that those scrawny little twig-like stems can hold up the whole plant. LOL I have accidently bent many a stem while trying to train mine to go where I want, and as long as I tie them up to straighten the crease I made, they continue to grow just fine.

San Jose, CA

What a pretty flower. I have a couple of clematis intermixed with other things in part-shade. They are so delicate that I don't notice them amongst the other plants until they start to bloom. Then, they really jump out at me.

Mesilla Park, NM

Ooh, Clematis is addicting.. This will be the second year for the plants I have They are all doing great, I was afraid that we got too hot here, but they are doing fine. Lots of mulch around the pots, and in the pots. Right now only have one in the ground of sorts. That one you have is really elegant and pretty.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I was at wal mart last year & I saw a 1 gallon pot with the stake and pic on it & it was this one. The plant was so pathetic, I was not even sure it would survive a ride home. It was $9.99 & I said no way. Well, everytime I went into wal mart, there was that poor thing, never got looking any worse, just kept hanging in there. I kept asking the gal (not a real pleasant person) if they were ever gonna mark it down and she would say to the effect, do you SEE a markdown on it? And I would tuck my tail between my legs and slink off. hehehe Scary gal.
Anyway, by the middle of summer I was in there again & sure enough, it was sitting there. I summoned up my courage & I pretty much yelled at her & said, HEY! This is nonsense, the darn thing is gonna die & then you get nothing. Mark the thing down & I will take it! She was a bit shocked & called her manager & he marked it down to $6 and it came home with me. ROTF
I shook the whole way home. I am such a wussy.
So when I see the flowers I always feel like she is saying THANK YOU.

Mesilla Park, NM

I never find markdowns at Walmart.. but Lowes on the other hand...lol. I just got 20 one gallon vines for 1.50 each.. I could not believe it. I was able to replace a couple lost to gophers or winter, don't know which. but, in that stash was a small Riversi.. right now they are all in the ground except a couple that I have to find the right place for.

These are the clematis I have: Royalty, Josephine, Piilu, Henryi, Will Goodwin (has buds on it), Niobe, Sweet Autumn, Jackmani, Durandii, Nelly Moser, Blue Light, Gen. Sikorsky, Polish Spirit, Ernest (red from Walmart), Fireworks (purple from Walmart), Armandi, Pitcheri and Texensis from a friend. ALmost all are in pots, Those gophers scare me so much , that even having a couple of acres of land, I still have all these pots around. It makes me mad..lol

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Well PudgyMudpies...I applaud your bravery!! woo hoo way to go!! Since I'm a wussy too...sometimes even after posting in the forums here I feel a little shakey. But you saved the clematis!! *applauds*

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Lisa, are we related by any chance? LOL

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Gourd, what size pot to you nave your clematis in? Do you bury the pots in the ground?
George

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Gourd, how did I miss your post??? LOL
It sounds like you have alot of lovely ones! I have NEVER seen a markdown at wal mart either, and at our Lowes, things they mark down are too far gone to salvage.
How long have you kept yours in pots? The ones I have potted up have been in them for about 3 years. I sure hope they do not outgrow their space cuz I am gonna be in big trouble if they do.
I have:
THE PRESIDENT
JACKMANII
NELLIE MOSER
RAYMOND EVISON CLEMATIS: RHAPSODY
RAYMOND EVISON CLEMATIS: ALBA LUXURIANS
LADY LONDESBOROUGH
MACRO, MARKHAMS PINK
HAGLEY HYBRID
VOLUCEAU
Cartmanaii Joe
Viticella Blue Bell
Star of India
Pink Champagne-aka-Kakio
Clematis Piilu
Clematis Montana rubens “odorata”
Clematis x durandii
MARGARET HUNT
DOROTHY WALTON(aka Bagatelle)
Ville de lyon

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Lady Londesborough bloomed today. What a beauty!

Mesilla Park, NM

George,
Most of the ones from Parks are in one gallon pots (they seemed to be small) they've been in those for two years now , about 5 that have grown some are in 5 gal pots. I don't know where I read to keep them in pots for about a year or two, then to plant them into the ground. The first ones that I put straight into the ground did not survive. So, I guess that was good advice.. I did have other plants that I buried the pots and all into the ground, I cut off the bottoms. I may have to do this with the clematis (gopher control)..

Pudgy, you have some nice ones. I can hardly wait till they bloom. Last year the Sweet Autumn just took off and had some blooms, this year that thing is humongous.. lol.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Pudgy, your pictures are gorgeous, especially the Lady Londesborough. I bought a Clematis "Dawn" today. I had never seen one before. Do you have it? The colors are almost eerie, but it's a real beauty.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Zuzu, that is so pretty! I just looked it up & it looks really pearly.
http://clematis.org/clematis_a-z/index.html?action=view&ID=00074
I have not seen that one before but I realllllly like it!
Gourd, I have heard that the sweet autumn is really fragrant, but just don't have room for it. Does it smell super dooper? :~)

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It is very pearly. The other one I bought today is Proteus. Very pretty, but not spectacular like Dawn. I also have the sweet autumn clematis and it's fragrant, but not as fragrant as Armandii. That one grows as big as a house and even if you really love the smell, you have to grow it somewhere back in the north forty or keep your windows closed at night while it's blooming. Otherwise, you won't be able to sleep.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, wow. Too much of a good thing, huh?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Zuzu, I've gotta try Armandi then. Am planning on putting in Sweet Autumn this year. I have a major love affair with plants that thrive and eat my garden, this is the year for adding vines.
And Gourd I'd have wrestled you for some of those at a buck and a half we might have come to cart crashing. grinnns.

Hope you folks don't mind me lurking around here. /;-)~ ~Blooms

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you kidding? We love you lurking around here. Cart-crashing? We would have rolled Gourd like a drunk if I had been there.

I promise you, Armandii will eat your garden and your house if you let it. The best thing, though, is that it's in full bloom before most other things are even breaking through to the surface. It blooms around the same time as quince. Have you ever grown Agdestis? It's supposed to eat your garden too. I bought one this year to try it out. It's still only about 2 inches high, so I don't know what fabulous things it's going to do yet. I got it from YuccaDo a couple of weeks ago.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have never heard of agdestis. I tried to look it up but cannot find a pic, can you post one?

Mesilla Park, NM

Blooms, you're welcome to crash us anytime.. I better get those vines into the ground..lol before they dissappear.. A good time to go to Lowes is on Friday afternoon, that is when they pull all the stuff they put out on discount for the weekend.. you can beat the weekend shoppers.

I found that out by accident, both times that they have had them on sale have happened on Fridays.

Okay, back to what is a agdestis? I'm a vine nut also.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry, Pudgy and Gourd--

I went back to YuccaDo to get a link of the agdestis picture that had seduced me into buying the plant, but it apparently was so seductive that they don't have any more, because the search turned up nothing. It was the first item on their vines page, but it must be sold out. Anyway, it's called Agdestis clematidea, it grows from a tuber, and supposedly will get huge and obscure any view you want to hide. It dies back in winter, at which point you can move the tuber in case you have a worse spot to hide. It looks like a very dense potato vine with much prettier flowers, more like clematis flowers. The flowers are white and the picture looked irresistible.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

sounds interesting, Zuzu, can you post a pic when it blooms?
This morning while it was all drizzly and wet outside, Nellie Moser decided to start opening.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Your Nellie Moser is beautiful. What a perfect bloom! It belongs in a flower show.

I will post a picture when the agdestis blooms, but I did some research on it and found good news, neutral news, and bad news. The good news is that each panicle has from 50 to 100 flowers. Sounds luscious. The neutral (I guess) news is that the root can grow big enough to weigh 68 kilograms. I think that's about 30 pounds, right? The bad news is that it has a "horrid odor, more fetid than skunk cabbage."

When it blooms, I'll let you know whether it's pretty enough to make up for its "horrid" scent. It might be a good thing you couldn't find any to buy. Fortunately, I planted it along the fence between my garden and the garden of my least favorite neighbor. Now if the wind could just blow only in the right direction....

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

"Fortunately, I planted it along the fence between my garden and the garden of my least favorite neighbor. Now if the wind could just blow only in the right direction...." ROTFL!!!
Too funny.
Yes, I can see that the news is for sure mixed, a 30lb root could be an issue if you did not plan ahead for it, but it sounds like you have... unless the wind shifts...LOLOLOL
I think it might have to be pretty spectacular to outweigh (no pun intended) the negatives.
Thanks for the compliment on Nellie, she opened the rest of the way this afternoon. There are buds all over her, so soon I should see quite a show.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

ROTFL here too. "Outweigh," indeed!

Mesilla Park, NM

Donna, that photo is nice.. the nelly moser I have hasn't bloomed yet, hopefully this year. You know, I did not notice if the Sweet Autumn had a fragrance or not.. usually I smell everything, but can't recall anything on this one.

This is Josephine.. it sure did take it's time opening..lol will try for a better picture later on.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yesterday I had several buds starting to split on "The President" clematis and today they are all opening up. There are at least 15 more that have not even started to split yet. Talk about a pleaser!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And Nellie has decided to open a few more too.

San Jose, CA

my clematis vines are starting to bloom here too. here's hf young, i think.

Thumbnail by mmqc
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Really pretty, the blooms look big! Which other ones do you have?

San Jose, CA

Pudgymudpies post reminded me of my Walmart experience with Clematis. 2 years ago I bought 2 clematis there in small, maybe 3" pots. They were marked as the alpina type with nodding, light blue flowers. Really pretty pictures on the label. Well, one of them died shortly, the other one is thriving, only it turned out to be the common jackmanii. I still like it though, as it weaves through my Graham Thomas rose. The gold and purple go well together. Sorry, no photo.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And Jackmanii is such a profuse bloomer too. I bet that is lovely with the rose!
That is why I always try to get my clematis from them as soon as they arrive, because I have seen the employees actually pick up the tag sticks that have been pulled out & stick them in whatever pot does not have one. LOL I have been watching & watching, but so far nothing. I wish they would hurry up & get them, it seems like every time I go in "just to check", I come out with something OTHER then a clematis! HA

Mesilla Park, NM

Those are great looking clematis there, . There is one that I really want to see in bloom and that is Niobe (I think that is supposed to be a deep red color).. I got one at Walmart and it was spelled Niboe so I thought it was something else, they had spelled it wrong on the label. Let's see what comes out of that one.

I have to get back there and check out the Clematis again..

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have noticed that with some of the clematis I have bought, not just from Wal Mart, that the spelling is different. I was thinking it had to do with patents?

San Jose, CA

i only have a few other ones.. ramona, crimson star, ernest markham and one or two other ones i don't remember. here's ramona. i think this was one i got from walmart. :) it has nice big flowers.

Thumbnail by mmqc
San Jose, CA

this is either crimson star or ernest markham. flower isn't as big as the previous two but it may be because it's in a gallon pot.

Thumbnail by mmqc
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Took these the other evening, loving the bright splashes of color here and there. Nasteriums bloming from dropped seeds. Even this caster that I have in a 5 gal. pot over wintered. Looked too good to pull out.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.