Senecio cristobalensis

Arroyo Grande, CA

A plant I picked up at several botanical garden sales last year. It has the most beautiful leaves. The yellow panicle of lflowers is an added bonus. It is another one you wack back after flowering and it sends up new shoots. I have two planted in the ground and one in a pot. Pot one seems to be doing better, but it has good soil, water and ferilizer, the others are on their own.

Northern California, CA

Afternoon Chuck -

The PlantFiles could use an image of this plant, we have the plant entered, but so far no images. Do you have access to a camera so you could add some pictures for us?

Senecio cristobalensis
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76944/index.html

More info from San Marcos Growers:
http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=2529

Arroyo Grande, CA

No, but I will have come the first of the month. It is just starting to leaf out again, so it will be a while before they get real big. I do not know if it is self-fertile, but the composite seed heads are very large. It is one of my favorite plants. I got it from the Fullerton Arboretum. I think UCR had it this fall as well.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I can see this is gong to be an addictive forum, with members posting about intersting plants such as this and others posting links to where they can be bought! thanks for sharing!

Arroyo Grande, CA

I hope so, there are a lots of great plants out there, just waiting for people to try. For me, gardening is about the plants.

Arroyo Grande, CA

The Glassworks Greenhouses has this plant. I know, I read the reports, they can be a mixed bag. But I am wondering about a good source for other Mexican cloudforest plants.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Senecio petasites which has similar features to Senecio cristobalensis is another good plant. I have a couple of those in the garden The leaves are a lighter color and do not have the purplish margins on the leaves. They are tougher. S. cristobalensis has a hard time making it between waterings without drooping, although I have it in a 15 gallon pot. Petasites seems a more agressive spreader so far and not quite as tall. I am going to get another cristobalensis and see if there are any differences.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Leaves are beautiful and the plant is starting to put on significant growth. I will take a picture with a conventional camera tomorrow, should have it back in a week or so.

Arroyo Grande, CA

I finally have a picture of Senecio cristobalensis. I cut to about 6 " tall about 2 or 3 months ago and it has grown back nicely.

Thumbnail by Chuck1260
Arroyo Grande, CA

I see I got too much in the capture. There must be a better way to do it. I scan the slides as tiff images at 63+ mb, which will not work here. So I used Snaggit to capture it as a jpeg. Didn't do a very good capture though, got everything on the screen. Oh well I will try again.

Thumbnail by Chuck1260
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I beleive they had this one on display at the SF Flower show, in the new plants section. The large foliage and stem coloring caught my eye but the eventual size scared me away. But in a pot maybe it will have to be tried, yours sure looks good!

Arroyo Grande, CA

It has the most beautiful leaves, incredible color and texture. I started with one shoot in a one gallon can and now it is in a 15 gallon can where it will stay. I might try to take some shoots next winter when it dies back. Right now it is too beautiful to mess with. I put it in a very light mix so the leaves will wilt a little in the afternoon. I have to water it more frequently that almost anything else. I got it at the plant sale at UC Fullerton two years ago. It has typical senecio flowers which are nice, but it is the leaves that are spectacular. I would like to find some other cloud forest plants as its companions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.