germinating Salvia recognita?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm trying to start several Salvia varieties this year. My others have all put up at least one shoot (in moist soil mix at 65-70' under lights), but this one is being stubborn. I think both KimGaither & Gerris2 have said they are having trouble with it also.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Stratify? ln refrigerator or freezer? Soak? Nick?

I have just 5 seeds, so I'm especially anxious to find a method that will work...

Thanks!!

Jill,

I have been told by a salvia authority that S. recognita can take a loooooonnnnngggg time to germinate, so I guess we ought to be patient. Here are his comments:

"Recognita can be very slow. Again, cold storage might help. This Salvia is very temperamental over here [UK], it just will not tell me what winter conditions it requires! It can take at least 6 weeks to germinate. It is not my favourite Salvia, but if you can get it to flower, in its very short flowering season, it is a star! The seeds are very big. Occasionally survives winter here, but usually gets killed by not being in really well-drained soil. "

Joseph

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmmm. Sounds like I should put them in the fridge for a couple of weeks, at the very least. Certainly it has not been 6 weeks yet! Thanks for posting that info.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have been known to put difficult salvias in the fridge in a damp paper towel or coffee filter and baggie for up to 3 weeks. I have left some for 6. They sprout. :) I have to say though, I have never grown this certain type.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.