Upcoming Northern California Plant Sales

Northern California, CA

Native Plant Sales - Multiple Listings Shown
http://www.goingnativegardentour.com/plant_sales.html

Do you know of others that would be of interest?

This message was edited May 4, 2005 6:32 AM

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

San Francisco Botanical Garden 38th Annual Spring Sale April 29-30
http://www.strybing.org/plant_sales/plant_sales.htm

UC Santa Cruz Arborteum Spring Plant Sale April 16
http://www2.ucsc.edu/arboretum/calendar.html

Not a sale but Annie's Annuals Spring Party April 8-10, in Richmond, always a blast to go to her nursery!
http://www.anniesannuals.com/info/ohouse/default.asp

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Sonoma Horticultural in Sebastopol has extended their 25-% off sale through March, so if you're near it in the next week, you definitely should drop in. It's more than 7 acres of azaleas and rhododendrons, but they have lots of other great stuff too. Many clematis, hydrangea, primula, hellebores, iris, and other things, ranging from shade perennials to tropical vines and gorgeous Pavlownia trees. I bought a Lapageria rosea vine there in a 1-gallon can for $8.00. Later saw them elsewhere on the Web in 6-inch pots for $60.00. Glad I went to Sonoma Hort first.

http://www.sonomahort.com/

San Jose, CA

Thanks for all the great links. Just wanted to point out one correction though. Unfortunately, the web site for the Bay Area Daylily Society is for the Tampa Bay area (as in Florida). Oops.

Very soon, we'll hopefully be able to announce some daylily events in the California bay area.

Northern California, CA

Thanks Tracy, I've corrected that! Could have sworn it was the link for Day Lily lovers from Santa Clara County.

Hermosa Beach, CA

Would you have the same but for SoCal?

Northern California, CA

Hi Waldrade - I started a new thread for southern CA, which is about all I can contribute to the topic, but PalmBob & Gourd have already added some listings for you to check out.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Becoming a member and going to the preview sale is a good idea. Most sales give 10% to members so you get your membership cost back very quickly and they send you stuff during the year to remind you of what is coming up. The really unusual stuff is usually gone or picked over by the time the general public gets in. It is less crowded and easier to check out as well. If you have your own wagon it is a good idea to bring it as most places the wagons are gone after the first few people or you have to wait around when checking out for a wagon. Getting someone go with you is very helpful. You can get the plants and your helper can taken them to your stash. I took two of my grandkids to the Davis sale last year and they had a great time.

Northern California, CA

There are many benefits to membership including the early admission to plant sales. Chuck you are correct about the good stuff going quickly!

And membership also supports the educational programs of noteworthy gardens and promotes their continuing growth.

Reciprocal Garden List for UC Berkeley Botanical Garden:

FREE admission and discounts at over 160 Gardens and Arboreta - both national and international
http://www.ahs.org/events/reciprocal_events.htm

Discounts at many select local nurseries!
http://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/down/UCBG_Supp_Business_11_04.pdf

Among other benefits of membership in The Ruth Bancroft Garden:

10% discount on purchases when you present your membership card at all area Navlet's Garden Centers and The Dry Garden nursery in Oakland on Shattuck Avenue

This message was edited Apr 15, 2005 3:41 PM

Arroyo Grande, CA

Further thoughts:

Most places have a list of plants they are offering that can be downloaded. Study it and see what you want ahead of time. Make a list of what you want, not that you will stick to it, but it helps you remember while you are frantically shopping. There really isn't time during the sale to think about what might work in a certain corner or for asking landscaping advice.

Some places give you quantities available, so if you want something in short supply go there first. BotGard prices are all over the map, some things are very cheap and unusual, somethings are expensive and available elsewhere for less. The major nurseries will also support the sales and provide plants, often things they are trying out or planning on introducing later. If you look at the list and see stuff you do not recognize look it up. There are many amazing plants out there that work very well but are not generally available.

BotGard sales are an important source of revenue for many organizations. It is a great place to find unusual plants and helps these very worthwhile organizations. If you haven't gone, try it sometime, it is a blast. You will find a great collection of plant nuts, sorta like this place, only in person. One last thing, it is best to get there early, usually a half hour or more before they open.

Northern California, CA

This message was edited May 4, 2005 6:39 AM

Arroyo Grande, CA

Unfortunately, I still have too many sitting in the driveway to get serious about the sales. This seems to happen in the spring. Hopefully, I wll get the over three hundred planted before Strybing and Huntington, the two biggies I haven't been to. Then the propagation bug has bitten and those are starting to get ready to plant as well as other stuff I picked up along the way and the mail order stuff is there too. Gotta get with it, now that the weather has turned good, though it is very overcast today and light sprinkles.

Davis, CA(Zone 9b)

The Davis Arboretum has a plant sale on April 23.
http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/Default.htm

This is a fun sale, you never know what will turn up. I still have an unidentified euphorbia from the arboretum.

Thumbnail by gacarnegie
Arroyo Grande, CA

I have been to the fall sale at Davis a couple of times. Gotten some great plants that have generally done well. As long as I quit trying to grow greenhouse plants outside it will be fine. Many promptly croak since it is starting to get cold in the fall. I am going to the UCBerkeley and Strybing Arb sales this spring. Both on the same day, Friday, for members. I have not been to either. I figure to follow it up with a trip to Annies, which should pretty well fill up the pickup. It will hold about 180 one-gallon plants triple stacked. Annies looks like it has mostly 4" which are much easier to plant and take up a lot less room.

Northern California, CA

This message was edited May 4, 2005 6:40 AM

Arroyo Grande, CA

I would like to go, but a group of local (Nipomo) wholesale growers are having tours with sales so I think I will go to that. They started it a few years ago and it has been very successful.

Northern California, CA

This message was edited May 4, 2005 6:40 AM

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks! ill be there.

anna

Davis, CA(Zone 9b)

If you are coming to Davis, get there early! Last year we had lines around the block.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't thank you guys enough for starting this forum, I was hoping for it, and just happenned on it!!!!! Plant sales are not to be missed, always a nice selection, and prices can't be beat! Again, thanks, Annie

Northern California, CA

This message was edited May 4, 2005 6:39 AM

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi!

The Humboldt Botanical Garden Foundation will be having a Plant sale on November 5th. I'm not sure where it will be held at this point, but I'm sure they will be releasing more information as it gets a little closer.

Lori

Thumbnail by ladyrowan
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

gacarnegie - if you are still following this thread, the euphorbia you have in your photo looks very much like euphorbia leuconeura. I got some seeds from the botany department in UCB years and years ago and gave some to the botany dept. in Davis. They were the ones that told me the name of the plant. The young leaves have the white nerve-like veins - hence the name "leuconeura" . If your plant starts spitting out little seeds across the room, then it is that plant.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

This is probably going to be very small, as this is a very small community. But if anyone is in the area, it might be nice to support the cause.

Mother’s Day plant and bake sale
Date: Friday, May 6th 2005
Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

To benefit Butchie’s Pool, a public pool for the handicapped.

Northern California, CA

This event has ended.

This message was edited May 8, 2005 6:05 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.