Mulberry Bush - edible?

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

Ordered a Mulberry bush from Monticello last year. Wanted one for the colorful fruit in the fall of the year. Later I found Mulberrys are edible, but I don't know exactly what kind of Mulberry I got. So can anyone tell me, Are all Mulberrys edible?
Would love to know if I can eat the fruit.

strangebob in SC

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Mulberrys are very edible and make a tasty jam or pie.

Growing up, my grandparents had a large tree and we LOVED eating them right off the tree - those that we beat the squirrels to.

The little green "stems" that they hang from we used to snip off with our fingernails, but they are edible to. I think they taste a little bit like blackberries. -Christie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

A little bland, but quite edible...none of the mulberries are harmful to humans...some taste better than others because some have more sugar...but all will make nice jams and pies as stated above. Some varieties need a pollinator to set fruit.

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks folks....Think the one I have is a red or purple? Hasn't bloomed yet. Still Small. Thanks for the info.

strangebob

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, the berries on my Grandparent's tree would start out green (like a lot of stuff!), then turn bright red, then a deep purple (almost black) when they were ripe.

Yummy, now I'm hungry AND nostalgic!! -Christie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.