Herb Round Robin???

Victorville, CA

THIS ROBIN IS NOW CLOSED AND WILL BE SHIPPED STARTING 3/25/05.
THANKS!

I've never started a round robin before but maybe somebody more experienced can help me or start it if they are interested. How about a round robin with just different herbs and/or edible flowers? Does anybody else think this sounds interesting?
-Juli

This message was edited Mar 24, 2005 7:08 AM

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

sounds good to me! I like herbs! count me in. my address is in the address exchange.

deb

Victorville, CA

Ok, I guess I can attempt this. Let me count how many herbs and edible flowers I can start with. Anybody else want to get herbal?
-Juli

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I would like to join, too. :-) My address is in the exchange.

~ Marylyn :-)

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

want to give it a couple of days before we start? maybe others will join by then.

deb

Monroe, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm kind of a newbie, how does round robin work?

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm in!

Victorville, CA

A round robin is started by one person who has a lot of seeds(I guess that's me) I counted about 16 herbs/edible flowers that I can share. I will make a list of everyone who wants to be in on this rr and send the whole package to the first person on the list. The package will contain about 16 packs of seeds. That person can take out a max of 5 packs of seeds but you must replace them with some other kind of herb/edible flower seeds that you want to share and send the package on to the next person on the list who will do the same. There will only be 16 packs of seeds at a time because you replace however many you take out. Most seed packets have about 12 to 20 seeds in them. Does this make sense?
-Juli

Victorville, CA

Here is a link to some seed packets that you can print for yourself. http://davesgarden.com/files/seedpackets/
or some people use key/coin envelopes or very small zip lock bags from a hobby type shop.
Yes we will leave this open for a few days to see if anybody else would like to join in the fun :~)
-Juli

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't have any homegrown seeds to share... Is it ok if I buy a packet of something that looks interesting from a nursery? I guess I should have asked before I signed up. :-) I'm new at this, too.

~ Marylyn

count me in tooooo

Victorville, CA

Marylyn_Tx, yes. Almost all the seeds that come through an exchange are bought somewhere unless indicated saved and from what year they were saved. Almost all the seeds I've received in swaps,trades, or gifts have had where they came from and the year written on the little envelopes and the person who sent them to me. Some have a little blurb about the plant, how to grow requirements and stuff.
This will be fun and you will hopefully enjoy it. It's exciting to get the package and see what's inside:~)
Sheran, am I explaining everything right?
-Juli

Box Springs, GA

Juli-are you sending these in a box or a large bubble envelope?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great! Thank you very much, Juli. I'm very excited already! :-)
~ Marylyn

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess I am a true seed Junkie. Please include me in this RR. I love growing herbs, and love to try new things. I planted rue seeds and got a great stand or seedlings. I divided them into pots, and then saw at the nursery that they put a little clump of seedlings in each pot. I will do that next time, Much easier. Thanks, SEEYA, Margie aka Queen of Dirtland PS address is in the exchange, or would you rather have it in an e-mail?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Juli

Add me in there. I hope I don't overdose on seeds. I just like to have some diff. ones and send some of mine on to another who might like them.

Monroe, NY(Zone 6b)

Juli, count me in.

Victorville, CA

We have 9 including me. I think we will wait another day to see if there are anymore that wish to come play.
Chelsea- I thought about a large bubble wrapped envelope but is there a difference of using a box that I should know about before I start? I've participated in these before but not started one on my own. Any help you can give me, if I'm doing something wrong please let me know :~)
loudigger- YES! Hooray for Seed Junkies! We need a support group. My DH laughed when I told him I was doing this. "What? More seeds?" "But honey, I'm sending out about 20 packets of seeds." I neglected to tell him that I'll end up with the same amount of different seeds back in the end. I'll leave that for later. Tee Hee!
OKAY, down to business. This is who I've got so far:
1.) irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
2.) Marylyn-Tx
Houston, TX
3.) roose
Monroe, NY
4.) Witch
Taylor, TX
5.) sheran
Northridge, Ca
6.) brandnewgirl133
Box Springs, GA
7.) loudigger
San Antonio, TX
8.) makshi
Noblesville, IN
Did I miss anybody?
-Juli

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Juli.
You Can Add Me to the List.
Address is on it's Way.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I am in the address Exchange and would love to be stuck in there on the end...

Thanks,

Drew

Box Springs, GA

It would be great if you could use a large envelope-more affordable:)

Victorville, CA

Ok. Let's close this cuz we now have 12 people counting me. I will get it mailed out tomorrow. This should be fun! Here's the list as it is:
1.) irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN

2.) Marylyn-Tx
Houston, TX

3.) roose
Monroe, NY

4.) Witch
Taylor, TX

5.) sheran
Northridge, Ca

6.) brandnewgirl133
Box Springs, GA

7.) loudigger
San Antonio, TX

8.) makshi
Noblesville, IN

9.) ZZTOPSOIL
Philomath, Oregon

10.) marylouG
Sterling, MI

11.) Drew_N_Corinn
Pleasant Grove, UT

12.) Juli64
Juli Kardash
Victorville, Ca
I hope that I didn't forget anybody, let me know.
I'll post after I've sent it out tomorrow and please post when you get it and when you ship it off to the next person.
Wee Hoo!
-Juli64

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

AND WE ARE OFF AND "FLYING"! Will let you know when it gets to me and we it takes off again!

Deb

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Here, Robin Robin Robin...

Victorville, CA

Ok. So sorry this did not go out in the mail Fri as planned. I didn't realize that this was Easter weekend. I had 9 easter baskets to fill at the last minute. I just sent the envelope with DH to the postoffice and I will post the confirmation # when he gets back. It's on its way to Debbie/irisluvr0252 in IN.
Easter is usually in April isn't it?
-Juli

Victorville, CA

Okily Dokily! The Robin has flown the nest Tues. March 29! Here is the confirmation #03041560000260652633 I sent it First Class Mail parcel and it cost me .83cents for postage and another .55cents for confirmation, so a whole whopping $1.38 which is about the cost of a packet of seeds at the garden center. Not bad I thought. But then remember I thought Easter wasn't until next month.......Fly little birdie to Indiana! Something kinda "springy" to think about birds brining seeds:~)
-Juli

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

WOO HOO!

The robin has left the nest!
happy, happy, joy, joy, happy, happy joy, joy,

Yeah, this year's Easter got me messed up, too. I work in Retail and almost had to reschedule my vacation. I usually go 3rd week in March, best time to plant here.

Michelle

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Here... Robin, Robin, Robin...

Am I impatient or what?!

Michelle

Victorville, CA

It's ok, I hope you won't be disappointed. It started out with one of everything I had which I thought was a lot until I looked at this French Herb website. http://www.frenchgardening.com/aupotager.tmpl?SKU=3172454393177293
I had Borage in there but I think mine is white borage. I think the blue would have been beautiful.
-Juli

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Robin landed yesterday and will fly out today! Get ready Maralyn-TX, lots of cool stuff in that box!

deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Woo-hoo!!! I can't wait!!! :-) :-)

Makes another, I cant wait... I wont say anything, but ya know that 15 foot herb box??
My almost DH cleaned up the garden and oppps..." I thought they were weeds..."

aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Uh-oh! What did he kill?
Michelle

Victorville, CA

Deb, did it go from a bubble wrapped envelope to a box? How exciting! Sounds like you are feeling better.

Sheran, my DH does "helpful" stuff like that all the time. Hopefully you will find something in the robin to replace what you lost.
-Juli

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

It's the meds! don't know an envelope from a box when i'm taking medicine! :)

Victorville, CA

Houston...has the bird landed?
-Juli(talking thru her hands trying to sound like NASA)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The bird landed today!!! YAYYYY!!! :-) I'm heading for the Plant Files next to make sure these will grow in hot sultry Houston (may have to wait to plant some of them until the fall) and then I'll stuff my packets in and get the envelope ready to fly off to New York tomorrow. Woo-hoo!!!! :-) :-)

~ Marylyn

Monroe, NY(Zone 6b)

I've got the ROBIN"S nest all ready for it to land! Shazzamm!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The robin has lift off! It should come to roost with roose very soon. This was my very first round robin and it was VERY fun. Thank you, Juli!!!!! Now I have some seeds to plant....
~ Marylyn, heading for the garden

Victorville, CA

I like RR's too. I'm glad that you found something that you like.
-Juli

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.