Petunia 2 u 2

Alstead, NH(Zone 5a)

I started some petunias from seed the end of jan,... A couple are now starting to bloom, should I pinch the first few blooms off to promote bushier growth? I've never done this before. Or should I just let them alone?

Calgary, Canada

The California Giant type were obtained from Select Seeds.
Superbissima from Seedman.

My first germination is petunia integrifolia, the "wild" petunia.

Calgary, Canada

I am trying three of the petunia fuseables and one of the coleus fuseables this year.
Last year I did three of the petunia ones and the coleua for sun one.
They all sprouted fine, but I put them in containers before they bloomed,
and the colours were not as balanced as they could have been.
The ones I am trying this year are all different, so we shall see---?
I am not making containers until they bloom.

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quote from LADYBUGLADY31 :
A couple are now starting to bloom, should I pinch the first few blooms off to promote bushier growth?

I have a similar question. My daughter and I grow seedlings (under lights--no greenhouse) to sell at a local flea market. She is trying her hand at making a few hanging baskets. She transplanted a combo of blue double grandiflora petunias (I think it's called "Blue Double Cascade") and Sonata, which is a double white grandiflora. They are sending out branches and have each had a couple of blooms...but we would like to see them more "full" and rounded, before they send out spreading branches. Should we cut off the lateral spreading branches to promote bushiness?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

NisiNJ
Hi I always pinch back my supertunia's when they are going that fast this early. It is a good 7 weeks to my zone planting out and I try to bush them out now and then let them go a bit later. Due to our daylight getting longer our growth pattern is a bit different. By mid June the sun will be up from 430 am until almost 11pm so things do grow like crazy with that amount of light.

I would suspect that having some flowering at the right time for selling would make your baskets more enticing for the buyers. Perhaps someone can advise for your zone when to stop pinching back.
Alberta Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.