Rooting Red Twig Dogwood

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Can anyone tell me what is the best time to take cuttings of red twig dogwood here in Wisconsin?

Has anyone tried to root cuttings from them" Thanks, Legit

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Redtwig dogwood is one of those plants that will root almost as readily as willow. Greenwood works best if you are taking cuttings. I always liked to bend a stem down and place a brick on it. In a matter of weeks new roots would form. You might want to try to find out if the original plant was resistant to the disease that went through Wisconsin about 15 years ago. It killed a lot of plants. Jessamine

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Right now is perfect.

I had two of the variegated redtwigs and 4 years ago was doing some heavy thinning and pruning. On a lark I stuck pieces in the mud all along the west side of the yard where it tends to stay wet in the spring with all the rain. They all rooted and I ended up with a cheap privacy fence that looks good (I'm partial to variegation) and they keep the neighbors trash from blowing into my yard.

Since then, I've stuck cuttings in 1/2 gal pots and sunk the pots here and there in different beds. They root and I have trading stock for the summer and fall plant swaps.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks! I'm going to put taking cuttings on my list of things to do this weekend. I have a var. one in the yard which the deer have trimmed lopsided, and some dark, dark red ones along the roadside about a mile from here. They are so beautiful in the snow! Legit

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

thanks 8 ft, I'll have to try this too.

somewhere, PA

a number of years ago I decided to make a trellis from white birch & redtwig dogwood branches that I had after finishing my spring pruning. It was gloriously colorful. I put it in my garden and a few weeks later, the birch & dogwood were leafing out! Not hard to root. :-)

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

OK, I didn't get up the road yet for the wild ones, but got some of the Dappled Willow, Weeping Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki', Red Twig Dogwood, two kinds, one with a very dark twig, and one with a more pink twig, can't recall the name, but I remember it said Minnesota Grown. I also pruned a rose with very red stems, and tried a piece of that too. I've done a few pieces of rose bush with limited luck, but I don't think it was this early in the year. I clipped them, wounded them, and used rooting hormone #3 powder, and stuck them in a low portion of the garden. Wish me luck, I only took a few because my shrubs are still small, and this is the first year recouperating from deer damage! I will report my sucess. I would like to get some pussy willow too, but they look so pretty right now, I hate to cut them. Legit

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Of course I've heard of folks weaving willow branches together for some kind of low fence and it roots and starts growing.

Spring can be fun. I've got a habit of sticking things in the mud here and there when pruning and not labeling. Sometimes I've even forgotten about them. I had been watching this one little tree develop (along the west side where I started all those d.woods). I had convinced myself it was must be a gray dogwood I had gotten from Arbor Day foundation as a whip, grown in the veggie garden for a year or two then transplanted. Last spring I noticed a couple of blooms. Hmmm, that's interesting. Maybe it is a dogwood although it took a long time to bloom. Nope! Turned out to be a Golden Delicious apple. For a little color here and there, I've been known to stick fruit prunings in the ground over mums, asters, sedum. They go ahead and open their flowers then become a hidden stake system later. Well, one of those apples took! I've got a hydrangea, River birch, hazel nut and sambucus from doing that same thing.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

It is fun to find things you don't remember planting!
I bought pussy willows for Easter decorations and they rooted in a vase. I want to plat some outside, but I don't know how big they will get. I'm thinking I could cut them to the ground every couple of years to keep the size down and the sticks straight.
:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.