Explain your user name

SE GA, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, its March 19.......time to plant. The weather has been a bit strange here in south GA, but it looks like the frost has finally moved on. I have been just itching to get out of this house, get out in the yard and garden and get to digging. It is finally time....YEAH.

Before I go out this morning to begin my spring planting in ernest, I wanted to post this.

Some of you have some very interesting and unusual user names. Where did you get your name? What do they mean?

I will begin by explaining mine. My wife refers to me as Mr. Gardener (as well as other things I cannot post here). I adapted that title by dropping out the vowels. It also fits my other garden title, Master Gardener.

I look forward to hearing from you all as you tell us all about where your self made names came from.

I'll be back later today....maybe even after dark.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Aubrey,
I've always been just me, Lisa

:-)
so it was fitting to be justmeLisa

welcome to Daves.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2005 6:29 AM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Mine is REALLY obvious - Terry. Unless you ask my mom, who thinks it should be spelled with one "r" and an "i".

But you'll find old posts from someone named "Go_vols" and that was me before I asked Dave to change it. (As an admin it's easier to have my real name and user name the same.) The old name is a reference to my husband's alma mater, the beloved Tennessee Vols. (Our family bleeds orange ;o)

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine may be obvious also although I changed the spelling slightly. I am sure you have all heard or even done Karaoke it is fun, and great entertainment, I did it for several years, then lost two of my close friends two years in a row (also got older) so I stopped singing, accept when I go to chat meets where everyone calls me karrie, the reason I changed the spelling.

Doris

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Been here a long time...about 300 members when I joined....just used my name.

Mine is simple also but I have had people stop by and call me the Garden guy from TV You know...LOL
I Garden.
I be a Guy.
My name is Kin.
GardenGuyKin
GGK for short....Snicker *S~n~o~r~t*

Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm Raven Locks because my hair is pure black, ok, well not any more, 5 kids and a husband who is a drummer have brought out some of my white highlights! :O)

I tried using the name I have on other forums, but I think that name was already in use, and besides, Raven seems so much more mysterious that plain old Janice!

Raven~AKA~Janice

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine is a combinations of my first and middle names...Jennifer Deeann.

erie, PA(Zone 5a)

Mine is two fold, I like to take cut flowers from my garden (snip) and I am a barber (snip snip) but I try not to snip the ears from my customers. Gil.

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I took my user name from my husband's grandmother: Elizabeth Mae West. I was going to go with just "Mae West" (she was a remarkable woman!) but put the "E" on it so I could honour both Mae West and hubby's granny (who had 16 children and was also a remarkable woman!) : )

Rhonda

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

just part of my last name (sarver) and the year I was born (now you can figure out my age!!)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Middle name followed by first initial.

There was already a 1, 2, 3 on a site I tried to enter years ago.
In frustration I put down 10.

That's now my handle pretty much everywhere around the internet.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Heavy Clay - Zone 6

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, I never even noticed the r in there!

When I found my husband (or rather he found me), my Mother in law accused me of stealing her baby. LOL Hey, he was 28. It was time for him to leave home! Because of that, she told me I was a 'bad egg'. I tried and tried to find a cutsie flower name and all the ones I thought of were taken and I was not really attached to any one plant. Hubby and I thought 'badseed' was kind of funny. We didn't know about the scary movie by that name or that it would hinder my earliest trades. :) That was about ten years ago.

Northern California, CA

Happenstance is pretty much the way I garden and move through life. :-)

It all seems to work out pretty well for me in gardening as well as life.....I'm not much of a rule follower, just dig a hole and plant it. And I always said I'd need a new name when I hit 60 (which happened a couple years ago!) because what a silly name "Candy" is for an old lady!

Thumbnail by Happenstance
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine is the short version of the nickname - Yuskatawkanuchi - that was bestowed upon me as a very young child. I won't bore you with the details here...it's the first entry in my blog - http://www.notyeteden.blogspot.com/

Yuska - aka - Beth

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

NOTmartha-i was watching her show and they were building her a potting shed and i said thats it-noone builds me a potting shed or sends me a cute Latin gardener to help-im all alone and on my own! I quit watching Martha that day and I became NOTmartha!

im NOTmartha Im Dori!!! ;)

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

My name is Toni and I love the 60's "groovy" era of peace signs and daisies and tyedye colors, not that I was alive back then, I just like the symbols...

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I am pudgy & I like to play in the dirt.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I love the word ALOHA and all that it signifies. I grow Hoyas. So I called my business Aloha Hoya. Everyone gets a 'moniker' here like Big Sean as opposed to Palm Sean and I am known as Hoya Carol (even by people I don't know).

So, the combination of the two is me....

Modi'in, Israel

First of all, I have to tell Candy that she'll NEVER be an old lady! She's younger at heart than most people I know who are chronologically my age (36) or younger)!!!! But Happenstance is still a wonderful nickname and a wonderful philosophy of life :-).

I think the origin of my username is obvious ;-)

-Julie

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Well mine came from my family because every time they see me i am out in the dirt, Hences they alway would say ,is that all you do " thinkdirt"

JoAnn

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Yuska: I'm going to think of you as "Stinky" from now on! LOL

Actually, skunk cabbage root was (is?) used by the Mi' kmaq people for medicinal purposes, including treating diabetes. So you should be honoured! ; )

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

Moda is my nickname from some co-workers - and 127 is my birthday 12-7, this is my email address too, I wanted to change it to a flower/plant name after i subscribed to Daves, and saw everyone elses was in that category, but was told it would have been difficult to do. So here i am Moda127.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Windy is a name I used when I ran a BBS back in the 80's. At first I was Jezzabelle since the BBS was named Helltown. Then one day I spewed out a lengthy letter to someone and they said I sure was "windy" today. So I thought that was a little nicer name than Jezzy.
So Jezzy became Windy. And my real name, Rita.

Crossville, TN

I've always loved to be on the go...in fact, my Dad said to me when I was in High School...I should have named you GO instead of JO!! And he was right.

I started using the name Roadrunner while I still lived in Florida...and now that I live in Arizona I see lots of REAL roadrunners every day!!

Jo

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

My nickname and first letter of my last name: i.e. Dotti K-Dottik

Northern California, CA

Julie, you are too sweet! I'll tell you I don't know how I got to be this old.....it's not that I feel so old, but the facts are the facts.

How in the world can I have a son who will turn 40 this year!!! And a daughter who will turn 36!!

Seems like just yesterday I was wearing bell bottoms with BIG FLOWERS all over them, going to anti-war demonstrations and having my babies. Love em and hug em NOW because time sure flies! This was 1969 in Sacramento.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Did you by chance line in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco in the ealy 60's? I lived next door in the Sunset district and had to bus ride through Haight-Ashbury every day on my way to work. Dotti

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

this is a great thread, love everyones stories. i had to change my name on ebay, and the only thing i was looking at was daylilies so i used daylily with my clock number from work, daylily970.

Northern California, CA

Dotti - that was my alter ego! We came straight out of the University of Illinois in '68, lived in Sacramento for a couple of years, but spent a lot of time in the city too. Those were interesting times weren't they?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

A&C are my first/last name initials and Agape means "God's love" Plants, well God and everyone loves plants.

Blessings,
ACsAgapePlants aka Awanda

Thumbnail by ACsAgapePlants
Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Well, this is the name of our farm :) I have another name on here, but I never subscribed under that name.....farminggrandmaofky....says it all :) Also known as Kathy....or Gammy

Duvall, WA(Zone 8a)

lasr 1st initial/middle initial/maiden name/married name----just my inititals

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Since there's one Jen in every town, I thought I'd make it clear which Jen I am.

What? One Jen on every block?

My apologies to the 200,000 other Jens in my town.

Jen (Oh, wait! There are TWO Jens on my block!)

Windermere, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine is probably pretty obvious. I'm a mom and I'm mainly interested in growing vegetables. Before I had my own garden I was very involved in Community Supported Agriculture and would bring back baskets of organic veggies from the farm I was a member of for many families in the area. The hurricanes did a number on us around here and the farm decided that they couldn't continue the CSA. Our family lost quite a few trees which opened up more sunny areas for us to have our own garden. DG was the first web site that I plugged into after beginning my gardening journey last fall and I've been made to feel very welcome. Margaret

Carlsbad, NM(Zone 7b)

After Pharmacy College, I built a Boss 302 Ford engine and did a lot of dragracing. The name of my car (a 1972 Pinto) was "BOSS". Many people at the races did not know my name and they just called me boss. Boss was in use in this site, so I just added the 302.

Thumbnail by boss302
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

First initial of my first name and first 3 letters of my last name ... nothing clever or interesting.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to admit, when I first registered I was skeptical about giving too much information on the internet. All the easy names I came up with were taken. I was (and still am) totally in love with the Maggie rose, and I called my first one (yes, I talk to the plants by name) Maggiemoo. And so.....

maggiemoo, aka Mary, aka Buffy (yet another story)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I must admit I chose a 'different' name, violas and birds, just 2 of my favorite things, but I'll be the first to admit I should of had something 'fragrant' in my name, as my first words are usually, "Is it fragrant?" LOL.

Happenstance, will always be 'Happy' to me, every post is always upbeat and her pictures are breathtaking. It was really nice getting to know a little bit more about you, I would have never guessed your age--so you know it really doesn't matter, but I now admire you even more :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.