Is there a cold hardy Japanese Maple?

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

I live in Zone 5a according to the map but often zone 5 plants won't survive the winters. Does anyone know which Japanese Maples (if any) would survive in my yard. I would really like a small, red one.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I have Crimson Queen and Waterfall in very windy spots, on hills, in full sun and they both do very well, despite all the adversities they're subjected to each winter. They're both hardy to 5a and, if you can protect them somewhat, might be good choices. How about having them potted so you could move the pot in close to a wall in the winter??? They're beauties in pots.

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you! I will check these out.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We are in Zone5a also, and have found the plain acer palmatum is hardy. Also the acer japonicums, of which there are several varieties are hardy. The japonicums have cut leaves like the palmatums. I get mine at Forestfarm. Polly

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you Polly. I will look at Forestfarm. Do you have to do any extra protection in the winter?

Audrey

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I have several scattered around the yard, but the name tags are under the snow right now. I am zone 4 in Wisconsin. Mine came from Mellinger's and were quite small when I purchased about 3 years ago, but are surviving Wisconsin winters. Two are on the North Side of the house and two on the West. So if you are not afraid to push the envelope, you will find you can grow some varieties, I just looked for the hardiest. They are sweet little things and if I and they live to see them grow to their potential, that alone will be an accomplishment for me! I don't give them any extra winter cover, but they are mulched, and get plenty of snowcover. Legit

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have not had to do any extra protection, and have not had any dieback at all. Personally, I also think if you start with small plants like the tube ones from Forestfarm they adapt better to our area. (plus, of course the cost is less, and less of a risk). Polly

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The cultivar 'Atropurpureum' and 'Bloodgood' are among the hardiest reds but they are not small. I have 'Red Dragon', a smaller dissectum type that mounds. Never a bit of die-back in zone 5b and my garden is exceptionally windy. If on the border of hardiness, stick with the green or red types. The golden and variegated types are more tender. My 'Red Pygmy' is very dwarf and in a pot...it also has not had any problems, but I'll admit, being in a pot, I do place it in a more sheltered area of the yard.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Oh, an additional note. Although not red-leaved, the Korean Maple, Acer pseudosieboldianum, is a green-leaved Japanese wannabee that is hardy to zone 4. It's a lovely small tree and has fantastic fall colour.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/75003/index.html

Here's a pic of my Red Dragon

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful mound of foliage. How old is it at that size?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It was planted in 1999. In 2001 it was covered in dense snow for 2 months and when it melted, EVERY last branch as well as the top 2 feet was snapped off at the trunk. I was going to toss it when in June it started to flush new leaves from the trunk. Three years later, it is almost as big as it was when I first started (albeit 2 feet shorter). Maples are weeds!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Audrey, I too have several Acer palmaturm scattered around my zone 5 yard.. they do not receive any special attention or winter protection. I have lived here 10 years and the only one i have had a problem with is one i bought locally Oshi Beni, it is not happy with the wind and by summers end the leaves are burnt. The rest are ones i bought from Forest Farm and all are doing well. DonnaS

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Girard's Nursery, in Ohio, sells Acer palmatum 'Robinson's Red' which is the hardiest Japanese maple available. Unfortunately, the nursery doesn't have any trees available for mail order this season. My 'Robinson's Red' survived -25°F last winter with just a cylinder of chicken wire covered with burlap. The tree is planted in the most exposed location in my yard, too.

Todd also mentioned the Korean Maple, which is a great tree.

Here is a picture of my tree last October:

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/treelover3_1099434986_446.jpg

And here is a close-up of the leaves:

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/treelover3_1099435082_639.jpg

Acer pseudosieboldianum is hardy, for sure, to zone 4a and possibly to zone 3b.
Mike

This message was edited Apr 6, 2005 8:58 AM

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. If I get one that works well, I live in a very flat, windy, cold, no snow area, I will post it.

Westminster, MD(Zone 7b)

An important point to remember is that Japanese Maples have weak branches. In areas that receive a lot of snowfall, it's best to protect young plants from heavy snow.

Most people use burlap, or as one poster suggested, put them in big pots. That way you can put them in a protected location during the winter. Oh -and if you do put them in a protected place, make sure you mulch them well - mulch in and around and on top of each pot. And make sure the mulch does not touch the bark of the tree. I've used paper towel tubes that I've cut all the way up and down on one side - these can then be slipped around the trunk. Or better yet, wrap the paper towel tube in duct tape before you cut the slit in one side. It will hold up better.

Good luck,

Ken

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

We don't get much snow but we have a lot of wind and it gets cold ... that's why I wanted a cold hardy one. I don't really have the space to bring it in in the winter.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Here's one that I just ordered. It's supposed to be the most cold hearty. If you get the newsletter from park.seed. then they are on sale for $23.97 plus shipping. or just Use code R1A886 for the discount. If you order more than $25.00 than you get an extra $10.00 off. I would just order something else as well and you could get the Red Emperor for a great price. But shipping may be high because they are in gallon pots

Japanese Maple Red Emperor

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&mainPage=prod2working&jspStoreDir=Park&ItemId=49496&catalogId=10066&langId=-1&cid=pem000050

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Instead of bringing the maple "in" in the winter, I think putting it in a protected outdoor spot is the issue for a potted one. Against a wall and out of the wind are two protections it would appreciate. It probably would actually suffer if it were "in."

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

mickgene, thanks. I didn't know that. I do have a sheltered spot I could put it in. But doesn't a potted plant suffer more from the cold since the roots aren't in the ground?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Nellie,
Yes.

To ensure that the plant survives the winter, I would sink the pot into the ground, up to its rim, every fall in the most protected spot you have (right next to the East side of your house would be a good place).

I planted an 'Emperor I' Japanese maple in the summer of 2000 and the tree didn't survive its first winter. While 'Emperor I' is touted to be hardier than many other Japanese maples, I have not found that to be the case.
My .02
Mike

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Nellie,
Also you can "heel it in" by piling loads of mulch around the pot once you have it in the "protected spot". Many nurseries overwinter their plants this way.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I also agree that the pot should be protected over the winter, but I have a potted 'Red Pygmy' that I leave above ground all winter. The plant is placed in a sheltered site and we get plenty of snow cover. I will try overwintering 'Samurai' and 'Orido Nashiki' in the same manner. I have no space left for planting more JP so I have to resort to growing them small and potted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.