Soaking pepper seeds. Floating / sinking ??? Need advice!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm soaking a couple dozen kinds of chili pepper seeds that I want to germinate. They are soaking in weak chamomile tea, in a couple of ice cube trays to separate the varieties. (Yes, I have a numbered list. If I lose it, I'm sunk!)

Here's the thing. After 2 hours, many of the seeds have sunk to the bottom (or, at least, they sunk once I poked them under the surface with my finger). But some are still floating -- in the case of a couple of varieties, most or all are still floating! I'm thinking sinking may be a good sign, indicating that the seeds are likely to be viable and have soaked up enough water to help them get started....yes? Are the "floaters" less likely to be viable?? Should I keep soaking them until they sink???

Last year I had fewer varieties of peppers, and I just sprouted the seeds in sealed moist paper towel. But this sinking/floating thing has me confused. I don't want to soak them for too long or too short a time! I hope somebody can advise me.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Pepper seeds don't really need to be soaked. If they sink they have indeed collected lots of water.Hopefully not too much. If you really think you have to soak them don't exceed 1 hour in warm water. Jessamine.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Whoops! Since more seeds began to sink the longer I waited, I assumed sinking was good and that floating indicated immature seeds, as with tomatoes.

So, my pepper seeds soaked about 8 hours in half strength tea before I sowed them! They're now on a 79 degree seedling heat mat, so we will see how they do. Fortunately, I didn't sow more than half the seeds I had for any one variety..... I figured that since I wasn't sure what I was doing, I should make sure I had enough seed left to try something else!

I guess if nothing is up in a week, then I will try again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.