Question about starting seeds (how warm is too warm)

clifton, NJ

Hello, I have read that it is a good idea to start seeds by placing them in a wet paper towel and placing them on a warm surface (such as a water boiler). Today I have done this with squash( some type of indian squash) , cucumber (not the type found here in supermarkets, but the type we used to have in india) , bitter gourd, okra, eggplant, and some beans. I placed them on top of my furnace which is warm but no that hot. However I was wondering if it was ok if I placed them on the steam pipes that run from the furnace. These pipes used to be insulated with asbestos before we moved in, however this was removed prior to closing. These pipes are much hotter than the top of the furnace (way too hot to touch) and I was wondering if this would be a better place to place the seeds. Or is it too hot? Hope this is not that dumb of a question. Thanks for looking :)

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

From what I've read, most of the vegetables you've mentioned seem to germinate best at temperatures between 70 and 73 degrees Fahrenheit. Basically, room temperature. :)

I'd stick with the top of a refrigerator or water heater for now, especially if you tend to keep your home cool during the winter time. If you have one of those small inexpensive room thermometers, set it on top of the steam pipes to see just how warm it gets.

Here's a helpful guide for germination of many types of seeds. It is based on their botanical names, but a quick search of the PlantFiles will help you find those for each of the plants you wish to grow.

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page05.html

Good luck!
Donna, who is still a bit of a newbie to seed starting herself :)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

think the steam p[ipes will be way to hot. i put my seeds on top of an electric blanket with the setting around 4.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Try to keep the temp no more than 80 degrees. The "cook/kill" point is thought to be 85-86, so allow a margin for fluctuation.

clifton, NJ

Couple of more questions, should the seeds be exposed, sitting on the paper towels or should be be wrapped in the towels? Also how often should I wet these towels? Thanks again.

Victorville, CA

I put some tomato seeds in a wet paper towel and then put that in a ziplock baggie sitting the edge of a heating pad(one used for a sore neck). If they felt too warm I moved them to a different spot a little further to the edge of the pad. As they germinated, one by one, I moved them to the pots with soil. They've all done really well so far.
-Juli

clifton, NJ

Another question, some of the seeds have sprouted, at what point should i place them in potting mix? And how wet should I keep the potting mix (how often should I water it)

Victorville, CA

I put mine in soil as soon as I saw them sprout a small white root. The soil is moist and a few days later they broke up through the ground. They didn't all germinate at the same time so I check them everyday and now I have only two little seeds out of six left to pot. I water from the bottom every few days but not to the point of sogginess. I am new here at DG but this worked for me.
-Juli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.