pickling garlic

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I absolutely love pickle garlic. I buy it at Albertsons in the olive bar section. The only problem is that it is super expensive so my question is " Does anybody know of any garlic pickling recipe? The garlic is crunchy not mushy and also does not taste like garlic at all, it tastes more like spicy pickled olives or something, it is so good I can't describe it.

Please help.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Post this over on the Recipe Forum and I bet you get a lot of answers. I would like to find out how to make them myself.
Pati

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's a recipe I tried a few years ago; perhaps it will help? :)

Donna

*~*~*~*~*
Pickled Garlic
Veggie Times magazine, article by Carol M. Bareuther, March 1996 issue
12 Servings

"Serve these sweet, spicy gems with antipasto, in a salad or spiced rice dish, or just eat them whole." - author

4 garlic heads, cloves separated, skins intact
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 whole cloves
12 peppercorns

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and keep at a slow boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Place in jars and refrigerate for at least 3 weeks.

Garlic will keep, refrigerated, for a year or more.

Donna's Notes:
These are quite mild, a kind of bread-and-butter pickle.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

patischell: Thank you so much I will do that I am so new at this that I do not know how to use it quite yet.

Tuttifrutti: Thanks for the recipe I'll have to try it and see. By the way when you cook the garlic does it still have a strong garlic flavor or not?

The garlic does not have a strong flavor, just as roasted garlic does not. No worries about needing breath mints after munching on one, for the most part. :)

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

I once got as part of a gift box of hot sauces a jar of (this is the actual brand name) "Ass Kickin' Pickled Garlic with Habanero Peppers". To a chili head like me, it was absolutely delicious. To others they would probably be just plain painful. If you do like hot, I have seen it on numerous hot sauce web sites.

Rich

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Glad I looked in this door!
I've been growing more and more garlic each year. Like to grow it and love to braid it up late summer and gift to visitors. That is until the DW closes the store!!

Like to make my own salsa as well, so now I'm anxious to try making these pickled garlic with fire.

Hey Rich, every heard of Calido Chili Trader's? I always thought it was a little chain of stores. It was like a Baskin Robbin's for peppers and any and everything you make out of them. They even keep a glass door refrig with a huge selection of their salsa so you can 'Taste Test'. That made me laugh though because if you get into the liquid fire category, you can't actually Taste anything after the first one. My favorite was 'No Joke Hot Sauce'. Smelling it made the avg person's teeth sweat but it had flavor as well. Gotta go back out and see if they're still open. Haven't been to that mall in 2 years.
Blaine

This message was edited Mar 19, 2005 1:58 PM

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Never heard of them but I wish there was one by me. There was a very large specialty foods store by me up till a few years ago that carried literally hundreds of hot sauces etc. but unfortunately they have closed. My two favorites are Amazon Red which is made in Columbia and reminds me of a much hotter version of Tobasco and Singapore Ray's Hot Sauce which is made in Egg Harbor, NJ and I've only found at the Renault Winery gift shop also in Egg Harbor about 10 miles west of Atlantic City. The aroma is of freshly ground very hot peppers and the sauce doesn't disappoint, very thick with a minimal amount of vinegar, no thickening gums and hot as hell. Every time I bring my wife down to AC to lose some money (I go out on the boardwalk and watch the girls), I stop by Renault to pick up a few bottles.

Rich

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

http://www.calido-indiana.com/

Here's a link but maybe they don't carry 'No Joke' anymore. :(

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link...I have seen their sauces in stores here in New Jersey, at least the ones in the flat pint bottles like Hoboken Eddie's sauces. For anyone interested in pickled garlic try this link , http://www.garlicgal.com/pickledgarlic.html The last time I looked there were 25 varities from mild to atomic.

Rich

This message was edited Mar 19, 2005 10:22 PM

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oops...a coma screwed the link up when the message got posted so lets try again.
http://www.garlicgal.com/pickledgarlic.html

This message was edited Mar 19, 2005 10:23 PM

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Good link Rich and she's got a lot more than just pickled garlic. If you've never ordered from there, stay tuned - I've got 3 varieties ordered.

There's another link (provided by frogsrus) to pickled garlic recipes within this short thread. :)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/485728/

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow tuttifrutti:
Thank you for much for telling me about that site, I was able to see all kinds of ways of storing garlic. I am going to go to the grocery store and try that pickle garlic, if it turns out good I might grow some garlic this year.

Thanks again

I bookmarked it for the very same reasons, carminator! You're most welcome. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.