Stewartia

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Every year my stewartia drops most of it's buds before they bloom. What can I do to prevent this?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

There are multiple varieties of stewartia which may help you identify your problem.

I think the common denominators with with most is that they dislike intense heat or drought. If you have a pseudocamellia which blooms July-August then I'd almost bet it's out in full blazing sun. It could very well be the heat stress. General recommendations are to give Stewartia some afternoon shade. I'd ensure it's able to keep evenly moist soil as well.

If it's making buds every year then I'd say it's fairly happy and that the bud drop may be a stress reaction from the summer sun or not enough water. Flowering phases for most shrubs and trees takes a plenty of water.

Since they don't transplant very well, I guess you could start this year by making sure it's mulched to the drip line and watered. You know if you have it planted down by the street or next to the driveway it could be compounding the heat and water issues if, in fact, those are the issues.
Good luck

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks very much...it is not in full sun but does get some afternoon sun. It is a Stewartia japonica. I am wondering if it could be some kind of fungus because it really buds up well and a few do bloom..but most fall off. It blooms in June. I will mulch and pray...thanks again.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

You're welcome and I wish you luck with such a beautiful tree. Don't forget you could check with your local county extension agent as well. I'd start googling your specific tree and see what else you can dig up.

Westminster, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Levilyla,

I'm near Manchester Maryland. I just bought a Japanese Stewartia through an online seller. I've heard so much about these beautiful trees that I wanted one for my lot. I did read that they require full sun, and that's where I'll be planting mine.

May I ask a few questions about your Japenese Stewartia?

Has it grown very fast?

When did you plant it? and how big is it now?

And - because of your bud loss - is yours getting enough water/moisture?

How far away from the street is it planted? Do you get much traffic down your street? Cars and Trucks? I thought maybe pollution could be playing a role in your bud loss. Some trees are very sensitive to chemicals and gases in the air.

I'm hoping mine will do well.

Good luck!

Ken

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine is planted right out front of my doorway..I have had it maybe 8 years or so and no it does not grow fast. No cars except from driveway and it gets some morning sun and some afternoon sun, but I am mostly in a wooded area. I tried spraying with a fungicide last year before bud development and it seemed to help. I am thinking the bud drop may be some sort of fungus. Mine tree is probably 10 feet tall minus what I had to prune off from last year's cicadas! No..I did not net it last spring, but should have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.