Morning Glory seedlings.....

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I planted the seeds & they germinated about two weeks ago and have put on about two leaves each. Now what? If I open the container, they flop over. I'm afraid to leave them in there too long lest they rot. Any experienced advisors out there to help me?

=) MKJ

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Prop the container open a little at a time. They will slowly get used to room air. Be careful to get them outside in time - last year mine ate a shelving unit and a light fixture because I neglected them.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I can't help because of climate differences, I soak and then plant (either in pots or directly in ground) and put outside (if in pots) right away so they are sprouting in the sun and don't need aclimation.
Jan...

Narragansett, RI(Zone 6b)

My two cents.
I just soak them overnight and plant right in the ground. I have had great sucess. Once the plants are established they will self seed, in fact I find sprouts in the strangest of places!

firsthyme

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

sylvi74, my question is, did they flower under the lights?

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Um, well, yes BUT they were really a big mess and I don't recommend my method of wandering off and forgetting about them! The flowers were smallish and not very many, but I had four 4-foot lights over them and I guess they liked it there. I ended up cutting them off about a foot tall and transplanting them outside where they quickly grew back and flowered again. It was really a pain getting the vines out of the shelves and lights, and one of the hamsters even had some wrapped into her nest! I took that away because I think morning glory may be mildly poisonous.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, sylvi74--what a story! Bless your heart.......plants can be awfully destructive, can't they! Forgive me, but I laughed to read of your hamster foraging mg's for her nest! lol

For the record, I will be replicating your method, Firsthyme, here on out! I'm not enjoying this germinating indoors stuff. I'm ecstatic to learn that I can do it your way!

I'm still just hoping that some of my seedlings will harden off for planting.......only one variegated left, looking piqued, and several Milky Way's holding on, looking a bit crunchy.

=( MKJ

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

Call me crazy (and some would) but placing a fan near the plants to increase air circulation will help in the harding off process. You don't want the "wind" to strong though and the soil may dry quicker, but the air will also help in several ways. Strenghtening the plants, decreasing any possible fungal problems, and begining the "out of doors" wind movement. Crazy maybe, but it does work(help).

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rich is right- the fan does help strengthen the stems. I learned that the hard way. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.