Worm Farm

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Hiya stetchworth,

It's definitely a very useful thing indeed. Having compost at hand whenever it's needed (and, of course, it's always needed) is certainly a treasure for our garden soils. Yet, the can of worms, where this thread started is how I got started many years ago. That little thing is a way for anyone to take advantage of earthworms' many attributes.

nice to meet you!

Don

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

downscale_babe...Efland is in the center of the state, pretty much anyway. Near Durham/Raleigh. Your mtn place sounds beauteous to me...love those mtns!

Duncan, OK

People, Please. Check out and study before you buy worms. I have been raising worms for about 7 years. Dont spend hundred$ of $$. Go to walmart and buy 2 plastic tubs that measure (about) 20" long X 14" wide X 12" deep.
As your worms grow and need more space, buy another tub for $4.00..
Drill holes in the bottom and fill it with new bedding. Set it on top of the other 2 tubs. This is the same princaple as a cow and will cost pennies on the dollar. Worms can be bought for $10.00 per pound or you can trap wild worms, mostly red wigglers and a few nightcrawlers.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Good advice! Each type of worm has their application and, the costs dont have to be all that much.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Any way to save money is a good thing. That's great advice Bizy.

Duncan, OK

Here is the link to my site that has images and descriptions for worm bins for as little as $8.00 per bin.. If you are looking to buy a bin, you should take a look at my site.

http://www.sirinet.net/~gmcowan/worms.htm

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bizy~ I love homemade ideas, and those diagrams were excellent. I have added your site to my favorties so I can use that info when I am ready to build a bin.

Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.