Angel Trumpet Seeds

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

I recently got some angel trumpet seeds from a friend. Any special tips or tricks in germinating them? Thanks. Jenny

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Jenny, if they are brugmansia seed, I soak mine for a couple of days and plant on top of sterilized soil that I've poured boiling water through and then allowed to cool. I press the seeds into the soil and put the whole pot in a clear plastic bag and tie it shut. That keeps the fungus gnats out. If they are datura seed (they are often mistaken for each other), I would do the same only cover the seed lightly and keep warm and under light during the day. You should see some growth from them in two to four weeks. Don't give up if it takes longer though.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Brugie. I don't know if the seeds are brug or datura. LOL Is there any way to tell just by looking at the seeds? Your tips still help. Thanks alot. Jenny

Jenny,

I do the same as Brugie, except I don't pre-soak. I've had REALLY good luck with all I've tried seeing growth in as little as 10 days.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I think I'll start the seeds today. :o) Jenny

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

jenny tulip, did your friend have them growing? The reason I ask is, in general if the flowers hung DOWN, they were Brugmansia. Where as if the flowers opened facing upwards they were most likely Datura.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you. I will ask my friend. Jenny

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Brugs have a cork like shell , Daturas are just a flat seed

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

must be datura then, cause the seed is flat. I kinda figured it was datura. Darn, I was hoping for a brug. These will be nice thought too. :o) Thanks for your help.

Jenny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.