Hardening off

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I really did try to find the answer before posting this since it's kind of basic, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I have had my first real success at starting seeds indoors this winter, and now I am about ready to plant them outside. I do know they need to harden off first, but I'm not real sure what the process should be. I put them outside from about 6pm to 9pm this evening on my covered porch. Then I brought them back in. My question is, how many more times do I need to do this before I can plant them? I want to put them out again in the morning. It should get to the low 80s. Do I leave them outside all day in a protected spot? Half a day? Over night? When can I plant them?

Any suggestions or just a "this is what works for me" response would be great!!!!

Thanks-

Jamie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What works for me is using row cover (that white spun poly stuff). I got tired of moving plants in & out, in & out, especially with lots of flats of seedlings to harden off. I use the row cover to protect seedlings from both the heat of day (midafternoon when the sun is hottest) and from cooler night time temps. Over the course of several days to a week, I take away their cover for longer and longer periods of time..... first, just a few hours of late morning sun, then a few more hours of daylight, still in a protected spot, until I'm just leaving the row cover on at night. The key is to get the seedlings used to the great outdoors gradually, and to protect them from temperature extremes for a few days, either by taking them inside as you are doing or by protecting them with row cover. I also keep an eye out for late frosts, as I don't trust the row cover to be sufficient protection for tender seedlings if temperatures dip below freezing.

So, with your weather forecast for tomorrow, put them out for a few hours in a protected spot, but keep them out of direct sun and/or bring them back inside during the hottest part of the day..... I'm just guessing on that part, but I've heard the Texas sun can be pretty brutal. Then put them out again until the temperatures start dropping, and bring them back in around the same time you're thinking you might need a jacket outside.

I'm probably giving you directions that are much too cautious for your mild weather, so maybe somebody in TX can give you some pointers... try cross posting this on the Texas Garden forum.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! No, that's fine. Kind of what I thought. :)

I have a VERY protected porch. We live in an old neighborhood so there are actually lots of mature trees, unlike most of "suburbia." The front porch is an L shaped wrap-around and the protection is via the half-brick wall and trees around the house. They actually get ZERO sun where they are, if that tells you anything! So I put them back out this morning and didn't let them get hit by any sun at all. Tomorrow I will drag them into a spot at the edge of the porch that gets a bit of sun. Like you, I don't want to drag them in and out so I was planning on covering them tonight and hoping for the best! If this weather holds, I think jackets are up for the winter and these seedlings should be fine. I'll watch the forecast as usual, and if it is going to get chilly I will lug them back in.

On the same note, I have all my cuttings that I over-wintered (brugmansia and some impatients) that I am treating like seedlings by hardening off. Think that's over kill?

Thanks for responding!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I harden off cuttings, too. They're probably tougher than seedlings, but why take a chance after putting time & effort into nurturing them? I figure anything that gets used to growing in indoor conditions needs a period of adjustment when going outside. I don't have the patience (or the energy) to haul all my potted plants back inside for the first couple of nights when they get moved from the morning room to the deck, although they would probably prefer it. Instead, I try to pick a day when there are a couple of mild nights in the forecast, and the outside temps are similar to those in the house, so the transition isn't too much of a shock.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok. Sounds good! I think my porch is about to look like a bunch of kids making forts and pitching tents! I'm with you- I put too much into these things to risk losing them by being stupid about it. Ha!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks. I too am new, and have LOTS of seeds growing, but am trying to harden them off. I forgot and left them outside on covered patio last night. They were just fine today. I know I am tired of bringing them in!

I actually planted 2 little seedlings out in the garden today. It stressed me so much to let my little babies go, I decided to quit. LOL.

I thought that they needed to get a little bigger! But I am running out of pots and need to.... want to ... plant more! I'm not sure where I will plant all that I have now, but it sure is fun getting them to grow!

mel

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mel-

I know the feeling! I have too many to count and I'm not sure what I am going to do with them all. I tried winter sowing this year too and prefer it to starting them indoors. No hardening off, no bugs, no room taken up in my house!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hi Texas garden. I think you are almost frost free there, congrats, I still have a month to go. My understanding on hardenin, is they still need the sun, just protection from wind, insects and excess heat. I think "they" recommend 10 days. Mine probably won't get that much. Up here the wind is the worst thing. I am working on cuilding a coldfarme for hardening off. Taht way they will get full sun and full protection.
Critterologist, I love your idea, may try that!
Mel, I know whatcha mean. You just gotta repolace them with more babies, so you don't have an empty nests LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I didn't mean seedlings had to go into a totally dark corner, I know "they still need the sun," but I've heard your TX sun can be pretty harsh, so it might be better to get them used to it slowly. Zero direct sun is probably just the thing for their first day out!

I'm wintersowing for the first time too, but it's cold enough here yet that I may still do a bit more sowing..... certainly too early to tell if I've been successful. I'll be so excited when/if I see those first little sprouts!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh I knew what ya meant about the sun! :) I was just saying my porch has NO sunlight so I didn't have to worry about moving them around throughout the day to keep them OUT of direct light. If I want them to get some sun, I will have to move them to an area that gets a little bit. Right now they are basking in some morning sun. I set them up with some make-shift forts last night using towels and various objects to create a tent effect. They seemed ok. But we are supposedly getting a cold front today. We were in the 80s yesterday but only getting up to 67 today. Yes, that IS cold to me. Ha! If we are going to dip below 50 I may bring them in... or I may just cover them up better. You're right, the Texas sun can be brutal, but it's worse in some areas than others- West Texas is the WORST! Hot sun, dry air, and wind. Not a seedling's best friend. LOL! But here in North Texas it isn't quite as bad. In any event, the sun doesn't get unbearable until summer. If it isn't even getting up to 70 today, I may move them all into some sunlight.

BTW- I did a google search on this process and a couple different sites had the same good idea, IMO. They suggesting getting a rolling cart, similar to what they have in cafeterias, and put your seedlings on that. Then you can just roll them inside and out as needed without taking them in one flat at a time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.