As promised.....

Modi'in, Israel

I got the camera back this morning and immediately got to "work" snapping pics of local wild flowers. I got pics of over 50 different ones this morning, so I'll pick my favorites and maybe post more later. It took a long time to ID these! Whew!

-Julie

#1 Silybum marianum

Thumbnail by salvia_lover
Modi'in, Israel

#2 Retama raetam

Modi'in, Israel

#3 Matthiola livida

Modi'in, Israel

#4 Lathyrus blepharicarpos

Modi'in, Israel

#5 another Matthiola

Modi'in, Israel

#6 Prasium majus

Modi'in, Israel

#7 Salvia pinnata

Modi'in, Israel

#8 Geropogon hybridus

Modi'in, Israel

#9 Anchusa azurea

Modi'in, Israel

#10 Echium judaeum

Modi'in, Israel

#11 Notobasis syriaca

Modi'in, Israel

#12 Cichorium endivia

Modi'in, Israel

#13 Linum pubescens

Modi'in, Israel

#14 Lupinius palaestinus

Modi'in, Israel

#15 Biscutella didyma

Modi'in, Israel

#16 dunno what this is other than it looks like a grass of some sort... But I think it's very pretty :-)

Modi'in, Israel

#17 Sinapsis alba

Modi'in, Israel

#18 Erodium gruinum

Modi'in, Israel

#19 Silene of some kind

Modi'in, Israel

#20 a clover of some sort with pretty patternation :-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I see you are right back at it! Photos are terrific as usual. You are well past novice with the camera and plant id!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Nice job, Julie!!! I especially love the matthiola livida! Those clover leaves are outstanding!

Modi'in, Israel

Thank you both :-)....it definitely felt great to finally be able to get some shots of a few of the wildflowers all around me lately....and to be able to scour my books to figure out what they were! Although I took pics of more than 50 flowers, that was only about 1/3 of the different flowers I actually saw (not to mentioned however many I overlooked completely). There are lots of flowers closed up because of the rainy weather and some whose blossoms were ruined by the rain so I'd have to wait for a sunnier day to get pics of those. There were also many that I'd already taken pics of earlier in the year or just couldn't get to because of all the mud.....as it was, I went home looking like I'd fallen in a mud pit LOL.

My favorite find of the day was the Salvia pinnata as I was completely not expecting to see that! But I agree Boojum, that Matthiola livida sure is a cute one :-). It's slightly less than an inch across.

-Julie

Julie,
I hate when I miss opportunities to take pics because life intervenes (mine and nature)! (The worst is when I'm in a funk and don't seek out the goodness out there). I imagine it must have been torture to be in the midst of spring and have all these photogenic buggers around with no camera!! But that's over now. And we can never get all the pics of flowers in their peak that we want, even under the best conditions! They're not really growing just for us, although I always forget that!!

Modi'in, Israel

Boojum, it's a good thing not to get all the pics....gives us incentive to go out and hunt again :-)

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

What is the range of S. pinnata?

Modi'in, Israel

Hi John, from what I've read about it, it "only grows in it's natural range"....meaning no one has succeeded in cultivating it yet. That doesn't mean no one would be successful of course. LOL. The plant is described at the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens site as growing in "Herbaceous plant communities of the Mediterranean territory and semi-steppe shrublands". It's range is the northern half of Israel (further north or east I can't say as the site only shows it's range within Israel).

It sure is a pretty one and the growth habit isn't bad either. Some of the wild ones have a wild growth pattern too, but this one is very "civilized" ;-).

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Native plants in California do not do well in most people's gardens either. Thats because gardeners like to water and the natives seldom see any rain from mid May to October. Might be why that Salvia doesn't either. Try collecting some seed and put in an area that you don't water. Plants like that might do well in a greenhouse where we have more control.

John

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Julie

Those are such wonderful photos! I've been thinking we should get them into the PlantFiles. I know that can be a lot of work, so I've linked to the ones that already have entries, but could use photos, and I've noted the ones not in the PF that could use entries. I know we'd all appreciate it if you could share your photos and any info you might have in those wildflower books you've bought! If you would be able to do this, but need help with some online research, send me an email.

Silybum marianum: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1056/index.html

Retama raetam: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72774/index.html

Lathyrus blepharicarpos: needs PF entry

Prasium majus: Needs PF entry

Salvia pinnata: needs PF entry

Geropogon hybridus: needs PF entry

Anchusa azurea: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/826/index.html

Echium judaeum: Needs PF entry

Notobasis syriaca: Needs PF entry

Cichorium endivia: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74593/index.html

Linum pubescens: Needs PF entry

Lupinus palaestinus: Needs PF entry

Biscutella didyma: Needs PF entry

Sinapsis alba: Needs PF entry

Erodium gruinum: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/77435/index.html

Modi'in, Israel

John, yep, definitely the natives here have to germinate and survive with very young root systems despite complete drought for several months. It's actually quite mind boggling to me....not how mature trees survive, but how a seedling ever makes it through those first few summers until the root system is deep enough to get to where there might be some ground water below.

In any case, if I do find seeds, I'd also bring a shovel adn bucket to collect the soil...I doubt plants that do well in chalky/sandy soil would appreciate potting soil LOL.

Weez, wow, I did intend to add the pics, but I need to make sure I've got the IDs right on anything I add of course. So more research will be needed to verify the IDs I've got above. Once I've done that, I'll add them.

-Julie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Julie... some of these have no pictures, but others do, so you might be able to verify that way.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you for taking the time to post - and label - these beautiful pictures. They're gorgeous!

Modi'in, Israel

Jen thank YOU! :-) Here's another one for you :-)

Psoralea bituminosa- Arabian Pea

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Plants we would never see if it weren't for Julie's wonderful photography!

Modi'in, Israel

Ah shucks John! :-)

Now here's one for YOU :-)

dunno which species yet, but this is a native Daucus (probably D. litoralis):

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

OO-OO. Send me one too, Julie. I could use a flower today!

Modi'in, Israel

Your wish is my command :-) Here's one just for you Boojum :-)

Campanula rapunculus http://www.botanic.co.il/A/picshow.asp?qcatnr=CAMRAP&qseqnr=CAMRAP1

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I love that genus! It seems to be everywhere.

Modi'in, Israel

I'm having a very hard time not .... ehem....adopting this one for my garden. If there were dozens of them around that spot I WOULD adopt one, but this is the only one I've seen, so I'd feel really bad if I brought it home and it promptly died.

-Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.