Using pop bottle germination - holy cow does it work!

Monticello 4, IA(Zone 4a)

I've tried to find the original person who posted this method without success but thanks for passing on the method (I think)!!!

I looked in on my bottle tonight and holy cow - I have morning glories up in 2 days!!! (Note to self - get over to Menards and make those plant stands like Weezingreens Wonder Woman!). Here's a pics of the babies. Now should I keep the lids off now or keep them on a bit? Thanks for this wonderful tip! God bless me - it's still snowing here in Iowa - oh no! :)

Mindy

Thumbnail by mkeilers
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you're winter sowing in those bottles, by all means keep the lids on for now -- especially if it's snowing! This is my first year trying the winter sowing method, but my understanding is that you need to keep the seedlings protected and gradually increase their exposure to the elements to harden them off.... but trying to harden off seedlings in the snow is just too harsh!

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

I just did some morning glories and they poped up and were a inch tall
in 2 days and i just did them in normal flats with domes and with other plants ..
had a 4 foot shop right down tight to the dome also
i must have had conditions just perfect like you did ..

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, guess you're not winter sowing!

I use propagation dome on my flats only until the seeds start sprouting. Then, either I take the lid off or I put a lot of ventillation holes in it. WZ & others have mentioned that, even if the higher humidity under the lid doesn't cause damping off for you, the seedlings get used to those pampered conditions & can be a bit delicate later on.

I'd say, put the top back on, but remove the cap for lower humidity levels.

Monticello 4, IA(Zone 4a)

Thanks so much for your advice! I can't beleive how well this worked!

Mindy

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Congratulations! You've got green!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.