how long are they good?

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

how long are 'purchased' seeds good for?....i purchased lots from parks, and for health reasons i wont be able to start them this spring.....or does it depend on what kind of seeds?...helpful info will tell me if need to trade these off or keep them..:)

thanks yall
cindy

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Seeds wil keep a pretty long time if you store them in a cool, dark place; an airtight mason jar in the refrigerator with a silica packet is ideal, for example. I have some antique glass veggie storage containers with covers and I use those, but they are less airtight.

You may get lower germination rates each year as the seeds get older. There are some seeds that need to be planted quickly, but the package will usually say that. or, if you get your seeds and there is a second, foil pouch on the inside of the seed packet- it's an indication that the type of seed deteriorates faster. If the packet remains unopened that type will keep longer.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

great info!!!

i will get my list of them and see which i want to try to keep or offer them for trade....i hate to see things go to waste

cindy

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a good plan. Best wishes for improving health :)
I'm Cindy too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.