Alstromeria

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

In the plant trading forum, someone mentioned cuttings. Can these be grown from cuttings? They are monocots aren't they?

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Cala, I tried dozens of times the suggested method during spring and summer and did not succeed with one single cutting. I had never heard about it before either, but was willing to give it a try. Results however were nil.

Ursula

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That's what I was afraid of Ursula. I didn't want to "sacrifice" the flowers if it wasn't going to work.

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I did not sacrifice any flowers, Cala. I only used the sprouts that do not produce flower-buds. Anyway, two days later they were totally wilted despite the care I gave them.

After 3 years in the same pot I will now (Fall is approaching in the southern hemisphere) separate the rhizomes (back to the traditional method LOL).

Ursula

Calistoga, CA

No cuttings won't work but divisions will. Alstroemeria will fill a pot with roots in one season and can be divided, usually I get four or five divisions from a one gallon pot. Al

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Yes Calistoga, I have both: separated rhyzomes and grown from seeds, but somebody said it was easy to propagate them through cuttings and I just tried. I think the person that said so was confusing Alstroemerias with some other kind of plants. Nothing was gained, noting was lost LOL.

Boulder Creek, CA(Zone 9a)

So seperate in the fall only?

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Yes, Steve. Once the foliage has dried back, I take them carefully out of the pot and separate the rhizome (each piece with at least two fleshy roots) and plant them in fresh nutrient rich soil mix (with river sand to ensure good drainage). The handling of the roots must be done VERY carefully, because they break very easily (they do not heal, so you will lose it).

Once you have transplanted them into their new pots, water them thoroughly for the rhizom and roots to settle in their new habitat. Do not water again until you see new growth (let the rain water them in the meantime).

The brittle roots are the reason why it is advisable to sow Alstroemeria seeds in individual pots. Plantils cannot be removed before one year, and sowing them all in a container makes things much more difficult and you can lose quite a few plantils.

Hope this helps.

Ursula

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.