Tomato seed

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am new to seed saving. My question is: Can you save seed from hybrid tomatos and will they be true to form? How about heirlooms?

Thanks

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You shouldn't save seed from hybrid veggies and expect them to come true...if they put fruit on at all. Never trade seed from a hybrid veggie....the recipient will not get the same plant/fruit that you did.Open Pollinated veggies are all that can be expected to come true... (heirlooms are OP)

Even then , you need to practice proper isolation so that you dont have cross pollination.

For absolutely pure tomatoes, you need to bag the blossoms, but a distance of 15-20 feet between varieties is acceptable (I bag) Tomatoe flowers are 'perfect flowers'...meaning that male and female parts are on each blossom. All that is needed to pollinate a tomato flower is a light shake or a breeze to move the branches around...no bees or wind borne pollen necessary. Cross pollination occurs when the accidental bug moves pollen from one variety to another....not common with tomatoes...but it happens.

Don't hesitate to ask questions....the tomato folks will be more than glad to help you learn. We have a wonderful resource over there in the Tomato Forum...Dr. Carolyn Male is a world renowned expert and author with the book 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden...she's a wealth of information...anything she posts is worth taking note of.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.