seedling heat mat recommendations?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Although I know there are many different ways to keep seedlings warm, from putting them over a heat vent or on top of the fridge to providing heat with a light bulb, I'm now considering purchasing a seedling heat mat (or two or four!). I know I could build a light box, but frankly the idea of unrolling something and plugging it in has big appeal. I just don't want to spend $150 when $75 would've done the trick. I'm planning to start lots of peppers this year, and I think they would love the extra heat. I have my lights set up over side-by-side 18x48" shelves, and I'd like to get at least 4 flats (which fit on one shelf) on heating mats this year, maybe add so I can do 8 mats next year...

I found some "Hydrofarm" seedling heat mats & thermostat at Home Harvest Garden Supply http://homeharvest.com/propagationaids.htm
'Shoe pointed me to some cheaper "Agritape" ones with built in thermostats at http://www.neseed.com/store/growingsupplies.html#146
and then srkrause emailed me a link to other at http://www.sunsethydro.com/Shop/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=64

I'm thinking the Agritape ones look a little flimsy, and the Hydrofarm ones might be worth the extra money.... I emailed HHG to see if I could get more information on theirs; perhaps they'd be a good compromise on price vs. quality.

Does anyone have information or recommendations for me?

Thanks!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I used them 2 years ago and didn't see much difference in the seedlings as far as being faster to germinate nor healthier (flower seeds).
I use the seed starter kits from Gardeners with the lids and a water reservoir and just use warm water in the reservoir and lights overhead, then the lid helps with keeping sufficient moisture.
I used the heat mats particularly when starting a cutting i.e., wisteria or something woody and the mat really does expedite rooting for that purpose.
Hope this helps.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks.... I'm wondering what brand of heat mat you used, and where you found them at (hopefully) a good price?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's a link Horseshoe posted for the seedling heat mats he got from HPSa while ago. They are pricier, and he says he's not sure he'd pay what they now cost.

https://www.hpsseed.com/hpssite/hpssiteviewproduct.aspx?ProductID=2858

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

I'm attempting the same thing with seeds this sping. If you go to www.parkseed.com and type in seedling mat you'll get several choices. Check it out!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! Park's does have some better prices, especially if you get more than 1 mat or buy a mat + thermostat combo.

Hi Critterologist (love the name!),
I've had really good luck this year using a soil heating cable with a thermostat. I built a wooden box the same size as my plant shelf in the greenhouse and about 5 inches tall. I wired the cable onto a piece of hardward cloth cut to fit the bottom of the box. This is really time consuming, but I think the cable is cheaper than the seed mats so I could cover more area for less cost. I put about an inch of sand in the bottom of the box, put in the cable, and covered with 2-3 more inches of sand. Now I have a 74 degree sand bed under lights and my seeds have germinated like crazy. I've had some that germinated literally overnight. I got my cables locally, but Gardener's Supply at WWW.gardeners.com sells them. Don't know if they are the cheapest.
Good luck!

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

haighr,
Are you using the APS system? If so, I remember reading in the Gardeners Supply catalog that they don't recommend using heat mats with them because the soil won't heat up (Too much material in between soil and mat).
-Doug

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

I just got one of the thermostats from Hydrofarm. I think I am going to be very happy with it. I have some seeds that need 80-85 oF to germinate and while I can keep the shelves at 70 with just the heat from the lights I did need some higher heat. It can be used with an extension strip which will take several pads. The limit is 1000 watts total. That should be plenty for the six mats I have. Mats with their own thermostat are excessively expensive. Jessamine

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 3:59 AM

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I got mine from Int. Greenhouse Com. the 20 x 20 cost 34.50 . They are 50 watt. the Therm. if you wish to use is 32.00. It'll handle 1000 watts. I've got 7 of them hooked up at the present time in the gh. I.ve got flats with 72 spots for seeds, no covers on them, the tomatoes came up in 5 days the peppers 6 days. When they get up I put them in watering trays and water from the bottom. I've got about 600 maters going, maybe 150 peppers, about 30 cabbage. I started some zooks and yellow squash just for the heck of it, they came up in 4 days. I know it's a little earlyfor them but I'll just transplant to larger pots and have some early fresh squash. That doesn't sound too bad. I guess what I'm saying is that I like my mats.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow! Thanks everybody for your input. Sounds like bottom heat with thermostat is the way to go!

I ordered 2 double mats (20x20", will hold 2 flats) and the thermostat controller from Park's. I think both are Hydrofarm brand. The controller will handle up to 1000 watts, so I could plug as many as 10 of those mats into a power strip with the thermostat. I will probably add 2 more mats next year, but I don't think I'm ever going to max out the capacity of the controller (she says, chuckling at the way 4 flats under lights turned into 16, then maybe 20 or 24 this year....).

The cost for my 2 mats & controller was about $100 with shipping, and don't forget Park's will email you a $5 off coupon for signing up for their newsletter or for referring a friend. For anyone who might be thinking of ordering the same, there is a price break for a double mat plus controller, and a price break for buying more than one double mat, and if you ask nicely they will give you both price breaks on buying two mats & controller, but the online ordering won't do this automatically.

From what everyone has said, I am just going to love them, and I should be able to grow some *very* happy pepper seedlings this year. Thanks again!

Hey, rb, what temperature do your peppers & tomatoes like?

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

Hi,
I'm glad to seee Park's was a benefit for you. I like there products. I've had luck withtheir seeds too.

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I keep mine on 78 f.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.