Apricot + Peach: When To Fertilize?

Santa Fe County, NM(Zone 5a)

I am new to fruit tree cultivation and need advice on when to fertilize and which kind of fertilizer is best.

I have a Blenheim apricot tree put in last summer [2004] and a dwarf peach tree with no ID that is probably about 5 years old. The peach bore fruit last year.

I see that both trees have buds that are small but beginning to swell. I have alkaline high desert soil.

Is this the time to give them fertilizer?

Thanks for any advice on how to care for these beautiful trees and get them producing good fruit!

Linda

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

http://pearl.agcomm.okstate.edu/hort/fruits/f6232.htm

Linda, here is an article from Oklahoma State University (the "ag" alma mater of my father and brothers) which is the reference source nearest your area that I found. A soil test should be your first step. Your apricot may not need fertilizer just yet. Too much food too soon for young trees can push them into excessive growth before their roots are firmly anchored. Also, fertilizing should be decreased after pruning.

Spring is the usual time to fertilize. Your Extension agent or a Master Gardeners group should be able to discuss local variations.

One of my peach trees is blooming ahead of the others. I'm not sure I'll get much fruit this year. So much drizzle day after day means no bees are out! May we both have good luck! Yuska

Santa Fe County, NM(Zone 5a)

Dear Yuska,

It sounds as if your father and brothers are well educated people!

Thanks so much for the information on fruit trees and their needs. We have quite strong winds here, so I am doubly glad to have found out from you about not over-fertilizing the apricot.

The link you sent was very interesting and helpful. I had no idea that you could get an analysis of leaves, but it makes sense. I am going to get my soil tested, as you suggested and as the article pointed out.

We have been lucky enough to have our rain in discreet chunks, but it is still too cold at night for the bees, it seems, even though it is in the low 60's during the day right now. I hope your bees show up real soon now!

Thanks again.

Linda

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Linda, I also live and grow fruit trees for my own use in zone 5 and also very alkaline soil. I am pretty much an organic gardener, so don't use manmade fertilizers. I do use quite a bit of Planters 11 a trace mineral product. High Country Gardens in Santa Fe suggests its use and sells it. I also buy from them their YumYum mix.

I make my own compost but can't begin to make it as fast as I use it. Have 6 or 7 compost piles going all the time.

At my other place I had a Blenheim apricot, but two other varieties now, 3 peach trees, 2 cherry trees, 1 mulberry, and lots of different berries. If I can be of any help to you don't hesitate to ask. DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.