Datura Heavenly

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Seen this Datura on the net and the photo shows a blue with white throat. Is there a blue Datura.

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi TARogers:
Through another post I read a description of an "Indigo" and white Datura. If interested, it can be found on this page:

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.com/SeedlistDA-DE.htm

If the address doesn't get you directly to it, go to the "D" section.

Hope this helps.

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

Sorry, and it's the Desert Throne Apple on that page.

One like this one?

Thumbnail by
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

That's a pretty one Tonny.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

which is that Tonny?? it sure is pretty.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

This is the one on the Net.
http://www.wuvie.net/datmeasure.jpg
Tonny that is a nice looking one. If I could trust a seed company I would order these seeds. LOL

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

TA, how much are these seeds going to cost you total? Is it a "big" gamble?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Fifty seeds for 2.50 plus shipping.
Looks like they may have added a lot of blue by mistake. LOL

This message was edited Mar 8, 2005 11:59 AM

The picture is of D. meteloides 'Heavenly Blue', but it does not exist anymore. It was one of my hybrids from my research into Datura species in Sorø. The blue hue made the white in the flower look like shining porcelain LOL

I have one that looks similar to that on the photo, Rogers, but it is of the species D. wrightii, that has a much bigger and broader flower. I recieved the seed sample kindly long time ago from Laurrie. It has more blue in it, than usual, but is paler, that 'Heavenly Blue'. However, the wrightii is not a hybrid, but a species, so there is a good chance, that it will come true from seeds. I think, that I have cataloged it as DATU-101 or DATU-135.

I cross my fingers, that the Datura on the photo from the www. also come true from seeds. It is truely beautiful. If it is a species or a eco-variety from a closed population, the seedlings should develop the same bluish color. After all, they take from 3-4 months to flower and that is a long time to spend, if it turns out not to develop the true color.

Thumbnail by
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Tonny, yes it is Datura meteloides. it does exists in the U.S., commonly known as "Belle Blanche". i know, i grew them before, and will grow again these summer.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I was recently sent seeds for this, I just can't wait !!!

Judy

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi folks,

I'm the one with the photo of what appears to be a blue edged Datura.

Here is the text posted under my Ebay ad:

***Blooms are, of course, not blue. Photo was taken in the early morning sun.***

I hope no one thought I was trying to pass off the white blooms as blue.
Many thanks!

:-) Karen

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks for taking the time to clarify the situation for us.

Judy

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I agree that there are no blue daturas, but there are white ones with a slight blue hue which shows up under different lighting conditions.

Also, Datura meteloides is not considered a valid name any longer. That species was split into two new species and are now called Datura wrightii and Datura inoxia.

Edited to add: see this link for a listing of all the species: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/501087/

This message was edited Apr 26, 2005 11:29 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.