Question about strange looking bloom

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Since I am new to lilies and their ailments, I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if this bloom is virused or something. Until I started ordering this past fall, the only lilies I had were a couple of unknown pinks and 2 unknown whites (all orientals) so I don't have much to compare to, but I don't remember seeing any pics of anything that looked uneven and streaked like this. Some other pink ones and the white ones are planted beside these and they all look ok.
Thanks!
Vicki

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Yep. Virus it is. If you want some of the seed, seed is not virused so if yu spray all the lilies near like heck, to keep off all baddies (aphids) you can get seeds if you self pollinate it. Keep up the spraying till seedpod is ready to pop. Then take the seedpod and garbage (DO NOT COMPOST) the plant.

Alternately, dig it now and move far far away from your othr lilies forthe rest ofthis year. Keep up the spraying though. Then garbage it after you have collected seed pod.

Alternately, -yet again - if you have others like this, get rid of it NOW>

Wash your hands vry well before doing anything else, after you have put it in a garbage bag and thrown away.

Inanda

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Inanda! I was afraid that's what it was....will the soil harbor this virus? It is planted very near others...will they be ok if I just dig and dispose of this one now?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ginny, would you mind taking a look at this? http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/445408/
I posted it last summer and the pic isn't great, but I'd appreciate it if you would tell me what you think.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

No Moby, should be OK this year. Looks to me like too much H20.
Ginny

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks a bunch ~

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

On the question of watering lilies, how much water should they get during the summer? I'm a newbie to orientals and asiatic lilies and have a bunch of them peaking their heads up. Sadiemae, I'm so surprised your lilies are blooming so early in the year. Wow! I thought the earliest any of them bloomed outside is in June.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Emily - I wish they were : ) That pic is from last June, it was the 1st one to bloom. Now I've got to wait until it blooms again so I can dig it up and trash it : (

I can't help you on the watering thing, these few orientals are all that I've had until recently and I've never given them any extra water...just what they get from the rain.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Reason I ask is that Oregon summers are generally rain-free so I have to water all of my plants on a regular basis. We don't get storms or really much of anything except for dry heat and blue skies during the summer.

--Emily

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I don't think I water my lilies any more or less than the rest of the yard and garden. I don't have clay soil so I generally don't have to worry about it being too wet.

What's the standard for lawn ~ an inch per week? When it's dry and hot, a good soaking about once a week is what they get.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.