Sowing Rose Campion possible now?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Is it possible to still grow Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria) from seed this time of year. I missed the bus as I was supposed to plant them last fall and completely forgot to. I already have them in a couple of places, but want them in a few more. Any ideas? Would putting them in the fridge or freezer for a few weeks help? I'm really new to growing perennials from seed. Oh and if anyone wants some, I still have quite a few left.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Emily... why not plant some indoors and set them out this spring. Here's Tom Clothier's recommendation for L. coronaria germination: Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), germinates in less than two wks You could probably plant them outside as a winter sowing, but it will be quite awhile before your soil will reach 68F, I think.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

That's a great idea! Any idea on how deep to plant these little guys. The seeds are very, very small. Also, with growing seeds so small should I fork out some extra $$$ for the "seed starting mix" as opposed to regular potting soil?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Whether you use starter mix or potting soil, you should sterilize it if sowing indoors. I put my mix in a roasting bag and bake them at about 200F until there is an internal temperature of 180F for 1/2 hr. That will prevent dampening off. I'd plant them about 1/4" deep.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you. That's very good to know. Do you also sterilize the potting containers? I'll be using little ones I got from a local nursery. I'm thinking a light bleach solution might do the trick.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes! Especially if they have been used before. I start a sink of hot soapy bleach water and let them soak a bit, then wash them out. I bleach out the flat and dome lids, as well. Some folks on Dave's have suggested adding hydrogen peroxide to the water (2 oz. of hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon) to kill any fungi in or other nasties that might linger.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Rose Campion isn't that fussy, I think the reg potting soil will work just fine. Weezin's right, they just need enuff covering to keep in place. They surely pop up eager on their own.
Spin gets a carpet of volunteers where she doesn't disturb the soil - her 'neighborhood watchdogs' catch on to that and they'll label them weeds sure as sure. ~Blooms

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.