Thunbergia COCCINEA,... Argh!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, I know they are rare, and all, but I traded for Thunbergia MYSORENSIS, not coccinea. I already have coccinea. Mine are just starting to bloom, and really thought all this time that it was mysorensis. Now, half a dozen people I traded rooting of this to, will also be surprised when theirs blooms. It really frustrates me when people trade things that are the wrong id. Now I've gone and done it, too! lol...

This is the very first bloom on a rope, but tons of "ropes" of this. About a dozen, or more...
The thunbergia is in the ground and growing up a pole of the greenhouse, {which is really our back porch, wrapped in greenhouse plastic(gas heater added by the wall)...}
-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

Here is one of the long ropes...it is about two feet long
-T

then, again....the Thunbergia grandiflora can have some pretty long ropes, too!, lol...
-T

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It is just lovely! Mine JUST died - have no idea why, but last week, it turned all brittle and the leaves and stems dried up. It was very pretty, and I will try to acquire another when I find one.

Which one did you have? Mysorensis, or coccinea?
-T

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I love the bloom on it. If you trade anymore cuttings, I love to trade for one.

Funny thing is, that I stopped rooting this one, because everyone wanted me to root the coccinea I had, and weren't interested in the mysorensis! lol...
Wish I had know it WAS coccinea!!! I'd have certainly rooted more!

I'll root some, but don't want to cut on it until it has finished blooming, which may take a long while. The grandifloras have been in bloom since November...
Plus, I'd be tickled pink if they set some seeds! And, I don't want to cut on it while it is flowering, or trying to set seeds.

If you really want some, you can email me in about 5 months, or so, and I'll see if I have any rooted by then. Sorry, but like I said, I hadn't rooted any of this in a while, and now will have to wait...
-T

Sorry, everyone...not meaning to whine, just very few coveted spots in the greenhouse, for growing in the ground. I certainly didn't have enough for two of the coccinea. Now, I'll have to dig the monster out, eventually....
...thought I was done in that area...

Am I the only one who had traded for something and had it turn out to be something else??
-T

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I HAD both, but lost the mysorensis about a month ago. No, Seedpicker, you aren't the only one to receive 'the wrong plant' or seeds in trades - when I was an active trader, it happened to me quite often. People give plants names based on where they live, or what someone else said it was, or what they thought it looked like it might be. If there was no botanical name, I just put it in an out-of-the-way area, and waited to see what grew. Many times, I pulled and tossed it, but for the most part, I got pleasant surprises.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i think its pretty. i love how its growing. i have never seen anything like it before your pics. great looking. see another to add to my wish list.

no you are not the only one promised things and they not be it.

i had some disappointments over the years and some surprises too.

i think alot of it happens because there is so many names out there.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Taylor root me a piece and I will try to root you a piece of my mysorensis when I get it out of the GH. I got it off e-bay and they showed a pic of it so hopefully it is the correct plant.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Taylor,
I've never seen it before and it is just beautiful. I really envy you your greenhouse. I would love to get over to see your gardens sometime this summer!

Ok, Donna, let me know when youv'e got one rooted. Thanks!
I just hope the one I've been calling coccinea this whole time, isn't actually the mysorensis. I hope I didn't accidentally switch them...but don't think I did,...
(* groan)...

Trunnels-the greenhouse is really just our back porch. We re-roofed it after that terrible hail storm last April. We put clear polycarbonate up for the roof and added a heater. All we do is staple greenhouse plastic around the poles to make walls, frame in a few windows and a door, and turn the heat on.
We got all the metro racks second hand for only $60 bucks, and the other plastic grid tables we got out of the trash pile at someone's house, that was moving. We bought metal poles and cut them to replace the plastic legs and make them sturdier. (Yes, I am a dumpster diver, curside shopper...Hubby is always singing the Sanford & Son theme song to me! lol...)

Everyone said we were foolish to put a clear roof on in Texas because of our heat, but I knew what I was doing! lol...Now it is very shady under the blue sky vine, and I'd rather have a living,colorful shade, than just a dark, boring roof for shade. We hang a swing under the sky vine in summer, but it is being stored in the garage right now...

Yes, you keep promising to come by! lol...but, nothing to see right now. I am thinking about having a garden party in May, or so. I've even been buying things for it, like cake stands, and foo foo girly garden party stuff, lol. I've even got a door prize.

I've been wanting to do it for years, but each year, I think my garden isn't finished, and needs one more season before I celebrate. If I keep that attitude, I'll never have one! I think I'll just have one, anyway!
I want everyone to come "have tea"& cake, dress up, and wear all their best jewelry, and....yes, a bit of fantasy maybe, but you only live once!
-T

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Taylor, I just found them for sale at Glashouse Works and ordered from them

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Taylor as soon as I can get to it in the GH I will make cuttings.

ahelms-
good for you! You'll love it!

Donna
thanks!
-T

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Taylor, I got mine from Logee's a year or so ago. New growth is red. Mine is small and hasn't bloomed yet.

Mine took several years to bloom. The first year I kept it in a pot and over wintered it, the second I put it in the ground within the greenhouse, but it didn't bloom, and finally this year it is blooming its head off.
There are dozens of ropes...
Wonder what would happen if i crossed the grandiflora with it...lol...

My jade vine is taking its SWEEEET time, too! I've had it for three years now...It has climbed all through the rafters, but no blooms, yet...
kinda disappointing...I'm sure if it ever does bloom, I'll forget all about how long I had to wait, though...
-T

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

seedpicker your orange thunbergia is awesome! Wasn't there another thread about this one. I would luv to try some seeds if you ever get any.
:) Donna

must...get...thunbergia...coccinea...resistance...is...futile...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Taylor, same thing has happened to me, and I traded it off before it bloomed and didn't realize it wasn't what it was suppose to be. maybe they didn't realize it wasn't the plant it was suppose to be , maybe someone did it to them too LOL, not knowing of course, hopefully. but all's well that ends well I say. Usually

kathy_ann

Mc Call Creek, MS

Don't cry, Taylor. That coccinnia is beautiful, too!

I might stop and honk in front of your house one day, too. My sisters both live about 20 miles from you. Would you shoot? LOL

Kay

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Joseph, you crack me up! lololol
Taylor, look at the bright side, now you have something to hunt for again, right? Half the thrill is in the chase. ;~)
I love how yours form ropes, mine have never done that! I must be too anal about keeping it within its boundries. I may need to lighten up with the shears.
Donna

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Don't remind me of Thunbergia Grandiflora and ropes.When we lived in South Florida we had one and I loved it.....until it took over everything.No matter how much I cut It back it won.It completely covered a big grapefruit and very big mango tree.I could have spent my whole day trying to control it but boy was it beautiful.

Kathyann-
yes, it probably has passed on to dozens of people who passed it on, and who passed it on, and so on. I probably won't be the last to discover it is something its not! lol...I just hate that I contributed. I almost always make sure I see something in bloom before I propagate and trade something. This one I just couldn't seem to wait anymore on, as it has already been three years since I first got it, and it only just now bloomed for the first time. I also figured that the kind of person who'd have a rare plant like the mysorensis(It was much more rare a few years ago, than it is, now, of course) would certainly know what they had, so blindly trusted the source.

Gaylams-I won't shoot, unless you are calling me a cry baby! lol...There sure seem to be a lot of DGers who have family in Plano. You are about the 6th, or 7th person who's told me they have family here...
I like the coccinea, but as I stated...I already have one! Now I have two! They are huge, now, and my space in the greenhouse for planting in the ground is very limited. I will now have to dig this monster up. That will take some doing. My Thunbergia grandiflora has roots like a tree, and I'm sure this one, will too...

Pudgymudpies-Yes, I think I may have snipped the blooms off the second year by pruing too much. This year, I barely pruned at all. I think it has to do with pruning less, but also just age. I'll give it a real whack, once it is done blooming, and hopefully setting seed. It does seem to bloom on new growth. All the ropes are on growth that is only a few months old...

Joseph-you seem as hopelessly addicted to vines, as I am, lol...

downscale_babe-
yes, in warm climates, the thunbergias can really get out of control quickly. The ones I have planted outside of the greenhouse, always die back to the ground, and that saves me a lot of trouble. The ones in the ground within the greenhouse, are monstors and eat several days of my life each year, in pruning! I love the enchanted forest look they give on my porch, though, so put up with it. You literally have to part the ropes to walk under certain sections of my porch! lol...they are constantly snagging my hair, too, lol...
-T

Taylor,

If you get some extra seeds of this one would it be possible to send a SASBE for them? Is it easy to start or an endless waiting game like it is for Thunbergia fragrans? Or alternatively when you whack it down by pruning would you be willing to share some of the cuttings so I can try to root them?

Joseph

Jo-
the fragrans should not be hard to start. If you've sown some, and it has been a long time, your seeds must be old, or soaked up too much water. With fresh seeds, they sprout really easily. I've had them scatter themselves and sprout in my grass! Wish I'd known you wanted a few when I sent your sasbe the other day...I'll set some aside for you.
If I get seeds of the coccinea, I'd be willing to share, but don't know if it will set seed, or not. The only insects in the greenhouse are lady bugs, and don't know if they can pollinate them, or not. Maybe a moth will do it, lol... I also do not know if they are self fertile, or not...
Cuttings? I usually root them and trade the rooted cuttings. I think most cuttings should be rooted first. It stresses them so much to mail, that if they don't already have roots, they probably won't root well, unless it is a very tough plant.
-T

Maybe I was watching the seeds too much and it was the "watched pot never boils" effect. I sowed 4 and then after a few weeks thought they were goners, and sowed some Salvia patens over the top of them. Then a couple weeks later lo and behold an odd seedling came up amongst the salvias LOL! I said to myself, hmm that looks like a Thunbergia! LOL

So I am trying too hard with fragrans. My seeds were from last years plants in my garden.

Actually, I was mistaken. I got my T. mysorensis over two years ago. The first year, it grew in a container and put on a little growth, but it was sharing a container with a Moonvine, and I had to separate the two, and I repotted in a separate container. The second year, it started to put on some growth and do well, so I put it in the ground. Unfortunately, about half the roots broke off when I put it in the ground so I think I temporarily stunted it. This is the beginning of year 3, and it is already starting to put on some growth outside. I think Ron has posted a picture of his T. mysorensis intertwined with another vine, and it is just stunning. I probably can't hope for flowers this year, but I think it should flower for sure next year after it has put on a little more growth.

I'm so sorry that your vine isn't what you thought it would be. I would be very upset if I had grown something for three years only to find out that it is not what I thought it was. That is just one of the many reasons that I don't do trades anymore. I'd rather buy a plant from a reputable commercial enterprise and know that I am getting what I paid for.

By the way, I have the Mucuna species from Logee's. It's bloom was disappointing this year, but I am hoping for better next year. Logee's book on Container Gardening recommends pruning after flowering as Mucuna blooms on new wood.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Hi Clare-
Thank you. Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say, and not reading into it. It was hard to wait for three years, and just couldn't help being disappointed...no matter WHAT it turned out to be...Secondly, hard to start over after three years, and it WILL be hard to dig out. Thanks for understanding.

Yes, there are several different red mucunas, and only the benetti has the really full clustery ropes of flowers. The other two are like you have. And it is very similar to the pruriens and the pruriens alba, in bloom form. I've gotten some clustering on my pruriens, but usually, they are more like your picture, and not near like the imense dense clusters of the benetti, and the green jade vine.

I still think it is worth growing, but maybe you could add the benetti to your collection. I think you'd be happier with it. I've seen it online for a very reasonable price.

Your red one is still pretty, but if you were expecting blooms like benetti, I can certainly see why it was disappointing.

Guy, at Plantsman nursery in the UK, emailed me a great pdf file of an article on mucuna from a great old reference book that is now out of print. It describes all the mucuna species and their colors and habit, and flower forms, etc.

There are several purples, and several reds and whites, and bicolored ones. Dioclea is also a species with similar flowers. If you want to know more about which mucuna you may have, I can zip the file and email it to you. It shows a mucuna benetti seed pod, and it looks nothing like a pruriens seed pod. I guess when yours set seed, it will be even easiser to identify correctly.

thanks,again
-T

Taylor, thanks for the info about the Mucuna vine. It is a little disappointing to see such a pitiful flower display when one has seen what Mucuna benetii looks like. Someday, I will get the M. benetii if I have the room. I may cut mine back and stick it in the corner somewhere until next year!

About your T. coccinea, I do understand and feel for you. That is just bad luck. On a bright note, it is good of you to let everyone know that you unintentionally traded with this one so that your traders may know what they have. This sort of thing has happened to many of us, I'm sure, and so you are not alone. I hope you will try again with the one from Logee's.

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Mar 7, 2005 12:36 AM

This message was edited Aug 24, 2006 10:19 AM

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

wow! is all I can say.Where can I get some of that.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

GlassHouse Works has them for sale.

Beautiful pictures, Ron, thanks!

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Taylor,

Do you want to know about the large lot of variegated T. grandiflora I saw Saturday?? 3 gal. pots stuffed to the max and about 2 1/2 ft. tall for only $24.99. Now, I've got to figure out how I'm going to hide something that obvious when I buy it, 'cause I'm gonna be in soooo much TROUBLE!!! LOL

QB

Someone's been SHOPPING! Someone had been a bad little girl! AGAIN! lol...
I know how it is...I pretty much stayed in trouble with hubby for several years, until he finally just caved in...I still hide stuff, but I think he knows, :)

By the way! One will do ya! They get huge and do come back each year, bigger than before. I say spend the other $50 on your next discovery and buy only one. You could always propagate the one and have dozens more later. I think butterflysbyrobin had them on ebay and the price of hers were pretty good, too.
-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I haven't bought one yet, but have seriously thought about it. I guess I'll check out butterflysbyrobin and see if I can't get one cheaper. Do you think it would survive outside down here? They had a plain one growing on a trellis under their roof, and it didn't seem protected other than that. It was HUGE! I know Antique Rose Emporium has one growing outdoors too, totally unprotected in zone 8...

Yes, I think it would do fine. Mine all come back every year, and you are a half zone warmer than me...
-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

*rubbing hands together manically* Hee hehehehehe!!!!

Oh, I just found out that Robin lives a whole whopping 1 1/2 hrs. from me! I wonder if she has a place open to the public??

This message was edited Mar 9, 2005 11:00 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.