potato vine tubers

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I saved the tubers from my "Blackie" sweet potato vine last summer. Do I plant them in soil to get them to sprout anew, or do I put them in water?? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Lou

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I planted mine.

Calistoga, CA

I would plant inside the house or other warm location. Lay tuber about halfway to barely covered in potting mix. Keep mix damp not wet. When sprouts reach about 6 inches potato will be empty. You can separate sprouts if you have several to maximize new plants. Al

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info. I really liked them last year and look forward to having them again this season. Lou

Prescott, AZ

Can these vine's be over wintered indoors as house plants?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes.
;)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have so much to bring in that I do not bother saving the vines anymore. I will store the potatoes if I have them. One year I did bring in the vines and they drew in serious amounts of bugs! The vines are easily obtainable around here, usually $1.70-2.99, depending on where I buy them. Otherwise, someone at DG can always scrape up a few (or ten feet of them. LOL).

Chicago, IL

Yeah, they look great against petunias.
I don't know where you get them for $2-- they're darned expensive here.
How do you store the tubers-- in the refrigerator??

I just left mine in a dry pot of soil annd made sure it didn't freeze.
sidney

Prescott, AZ

They are really exspensive here as well. Where in the heck does the purple one come from? I presume that you would store it the same way. The nursery is having great sales on them now, I thought I would just keep it inside, but putting it in a pot for the winter seems easier. And then just pot it up and start watering in the spring? Sounds like a plan to me. Can you divide the potatoe and get several plants?
Tami

What zone is Prescott?
I am going to leave mine in the ground this winter in a few spots.
I found them at 1 HD for about $3. a 4" pot, so knowing how they grow, that was plenty big.
Yes you can root by layering, taking a cutting and rooting it in water or soil. I would have had more had they not been disturbed in January. I think I have at least one of every kind and that is plenty if I can over winter them, I have great success rooting in the summer.
Hope that helps.
sidney

Prescott, AZ

sugarweed,
We are in zone 7. The mountain region. We do get some freezing/snow, depending on the winter. I can over winter dahlia outside in the ground, I wonder?? Hmmm I better go get a couple plants while they are on sale. THank you so much for all your help.
Tammy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oddly enough, the purple ones come from light potatoes and the green ones come from purple spuds! LOL I have bought them at my grocery for as little as $1.79. It is sort of hit or miss. At the end of the season here, I send lots of my plants south and west and some of them come back to me in the spring. :)

Prescott, AZ

Badseed how funny. We get a lot of snowbirds for the winter, but I never heard of plants going back and forth, you must love your babies. That is odd, about the coloring. When you say spuds are you talking regular potatoe?
Tammy

??

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They all come from different varieties of sweet potatoes, I do not believe they are bred for flavor though. Even a plain sweet potato makes nice vines.

Mailing them works quite nice. You can root cuttings til the cows come home. LOL Someone may as well enjoy them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.