Buttermilk works great

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Buttermilk works great for getting moss to grow on rocks!!!

Thumbnail by rylaff
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Did you put moss and buttermilk in a blender and then paint it on or something else?
It is terrific!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Moss really responds to acidity. Very artistic planning to use it that way.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Actually I just painted buttermilk on the rock with a paintbrush. Nature did the rest.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I only found out about buttermilk powder a few years ago. It last forever in the frig, and mixed it work just as good for moss. Also I've heard stale beer will do the same, (never tried it).

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Humm, so if I pour stale beer on a rock, moss will grow? I'll try this! :)

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

geeze, who has stale beer? It all gets drank around here! LOL

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Well, from your slug traps?

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

How long did it take for the rock to look like it does now, rylaff?
Chilihead, where do you get buttermilk powder? I always buy buttermilk for cooking and it spoils before I get around to using it!
I heard yogurt helps grow moss too.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Any grocery should have it...look in the section where the dehydrated regular milk is. Comes in a round can with a snap on lid like oatmeal.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

thanks melody. You learn something new everyday!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I slopped it on there a couple of times during the summer. I grew fairly quick which was good. I was aiming for that "this rock has been here for ages look". Surprisingly enough, this rock gets a fair amount of sun.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

It does look like it has been there for ages. Thanks for the picture! I'm eager to try this.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Goodness, Martha was using buttermilk on flower pots to make them look old years ago. Maybe she will show you again after this weekend.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.