STATICE Limonium sinuatum

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Help! I am confused on this one! How does one sow STATICE (Limonium sinuatum)? I've checked a couple of databases, Toms and O.R.G.S. and have gotten conflicting info on each, and then the packet says something different too! Yikes! I need to know the seed depth and soil temp. Also, Toms specifically says to exclude light. Is this true?

Thanks so much!
J

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This site will give you the information you seek:

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/2132/1

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I was looking for someones experience, not more confusion, LOL! I guess I'll just try a few different methods and see which gives me the best results. That's four different pieces of info now! Did T&M write the book on seed starting, because I've read alot of good things about them? I guess all these sites and databases just offer what has worked for them and there is not one singer proper way of doing things. I guess its up to each individual to experiment and see what works for them huh? Thank for the link KayJones........

J

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok,here's my experience this year..I sowed the seed in six packs in cheap seed starting mix,that was pre-moistened. I covered the seed lightly with the mix and lightly firmed it down. Gave it another spritz with the spray bottle and put it in a flat with a clear plastic cover under lights. I use 40 watt lights ..1 cool bulb and 1 warm in a 4 foot flourescent fixture. Put the light almost on top of the flat and they germinated in 2 days. I sowed these Feb 12th. just a note-every single seed I have ever started I give PLENTY of light-even when all the references say "Total Darkness".(18 hours a day).While seed are germinating I mist them several times a day as the lights may dry out the surface.Hope this helps you!

Thumbnail by golgi
Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Limonium, the annual statice, will germinate in light but it does better without until it sprouts. then it likes lots of light. T&Ms germination database is very good.Just put Thompson & Morgan germination database in your search engine. I don't care for misting flats. I prefer to bottom water and always start by nuking the seed starter with a cup of water so the soil is evenly moist and sterile. I use the clear covers on all flats until the seedlings are big enough to touch the top. Then I use a fan to exercise the new plants so they grow stronger. Jessamine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.